[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

How to move a 55g?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default How to move a 55g?

My dad wasnt exactly thrilled with the 30g idea, so he asked me to move both tanks to our small office. Its about 25 feet, but the 55g isnt exactly light lol. So I was wondering if anyone had any tips. I was thinking of emptying the water but wouldnt it still weight alot? or could 4 guys move it with 50lbs of rock and 70lbs of sand? Plus the tanks weight too.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

hey fm i had move my 55g just me and my gf i just empty everthing thing out.... and just left the sand it still weight a little but it can be move with just 2 ppl

chrish

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

If it's on carpet try those little round 'moving men' disks and slide it where it needs to go after you've removed as much weight as possible.. I know they sound silly but they really work!
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Nope no carpet =/ Going to have to look for a big container too to hold all the water.

carpenterwrasse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    George

i would just empty the sucker less likely to damage the tank and you'll most likely have to reaquascape it anywise with all the moveing you are going to put it through

hummer - Reefkeeper CR Member

well you could remove almost all the water and get two furncher scooters that thay use too move heaive things like pool tables and panio's talk too a furnisher moving co. then all pick up a corner of the stand and have some one pit the scooters under it slid it over and take it off all done ...whew .. now wasant that easy....lol...lol...hehe

good luck bud what ever you do go slow....
    :: hummer :nemo

Be VERY careful. 55g tanks have 3/16" glass typically, and are easy to shatter. You can use those furniture sliding disks (they are similar to teflon). You'll need to remove all LR, the canopy, as much water as possible. I'd leave the sandbed and get 4 people to move it.

If you have the room to do so, I'd consider opening the doors and running 2x4's through the stand to lift and carry it like they carried the Pharaoh in Egypt. You'll have to create specific cross braces that have the full support to hoist the tank on its STAND and not angled against the trim on the front side.

A couple of cheap $7 trashcans from Home Depot can hold all the water and LR/fish for the move. A pump with 10' tubing will quickly refill the tanks. When you pump water into the tank, pump it into a cup to avoid blasting the sand. Let the cup overflow inside the tank.

I do have a tank moving article, but odds are you won't need to worry about most of the stuff discussed:
    http://www.melevsreef.com/moving_a_tank.html
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

Quote Originally Posted by melev View Post
    Be VERY careful. 55g tanks have 3/16" glass typically, and are easy to shatter. You can use those furniture sliding disks (they are similar to teflon). You'll need to remove all LR, the canopy, as much water as possible. I'd leave the sandbed and get 4 people to move it.

If you have the room to do so, I'd consider opening the doors and running 2x4's through the stand to lift and carry it like they carried the Pharaoh in Egypt. You'll have to create specific cross braces that have the full support to hoist the tank on its STAND and not angled against the trim on the front side.

A couple of cheap $7 trashcans from Home Depot can hold all the water and LR/fish for the move. A pump with 10' tubing will quickly refill the tanks. When you pump water into the tank, pump it into a cup to avoid blasting the sand. Let the cup overflow inside the tank.

I do have a tank moving article, but odds are you won't need to worry about most of the stuff discussed:
    http://www.melevsreef.com/moving_a_tank.html
    Actually rather than 2x4s why not get schedule 40 (or higher) pvp pipe to run it like logs and "roll" it to the other room!? I'll let you guys know how it goes, and thanks for the tip on the glass.

if you go the rolling route, just be su re to go real real real slow so it doesnt get away from you

it sounds like a big pita to remove everything from the tank to move it just 1 ro0m over, but its the safest way to do it imo

hummer - Reefkeeper CR Member

like passover said go slow it worked for the peramids... why not a tank
    :: hummer :nemo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last