[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Results: How often do you perform water changes?

Voters
38. Register or Login to Vote
  • Once a week.

16 42.11%
  • Twice a month.

9 23.68%
  • Once a month.

8 21.05%
  • Other. (please specify)

5 13.16%

How often do you?

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rmalone View Post
    See, now there is another issue, Miz is growing mostly zoos, completely different situation than my largely sps and nem tank. Not all tanks need the same approach. Zoos really grow slow in my tank, I am high enough nutrient to keep them going but by no means do they kick arse. I run my tank first and foremost for sps, with nems being a distant second. My lps and those pesky zoos can live with what they get. Some of this discussion is really about what you want to do with your tank. A 180g with nothing but colt coral and shrooms could probably get by on yearly water changes, assuming the reefer was sensible about feeding.
    NOT mostly zoa's~I failed to mention that my tank is a mixed reef with lps being dominant~I have managed to keep 2 acros growing well with great colors~I've got a little bit of everything in my tank
    Last edited by MizTanks; 07-23-2011 at 09:48 PM.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I aim for ~5% each week. I voted twice a month though... since that is more realistically what I can accomplish with two young kids. My tank is a mixed reef with a total gross volume of ~90 gallons (see tank thread link in my signature for more details).

Tom

CR Member

My tank is a 210 gallon with a 70 gallon sump. I skim and top off with kalkwasser and am running biopellets. The tank is sps dominant with very few lps and angelfish food (zoas) lol. I do weekly water changes of 25 gallons and my tank is coming along very nicely!

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

We change 10% bi weekly!
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

CableGuy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

About once every month or two or when I feel like it.

Tank looks great and I've been on this schedule for about a year now.

Jarred1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

This is great stuff everyone!
    "It happens, and as long as the clowns out there keep paying top dollar, they will stay top dollar. Just a way of life, imagine how much cheaper a Tahoe or Yukon would cost if the word 'bling' was never invented..."

whitetiger61 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rick

I have 2 tanks.. a 2.5 gal pico..acan dominated and i change 16 ozs of water 2 times a week on that one..hob filter modded to keep cheato in it..

35 gal hex is a mixed reef with hob overflow with a 10 sump..about 42 gallons total water volumn..i change 4 gallons on this tank every week.dose mb7 on this tank and it has a prism hob skimmer on it.

Rick

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

I have two tanks, both from Red Sea with their built in skimmers. NOT the greatest of skimmers it seems, from the lack of production out of them.

I change 5 gal every week at home (66 gal tank) and 5 gal probably 3 times a month at my office (34 gal).

I usually just run the skimmer for a day or two after the WC but I don't have a lot of fish in either - and I don't feed them every day.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    Whatever size tank you have I advocate changing 2.5% weekly (in nanos divide that up daily). Frequent small water changes are better that infrequent large changes. Every tank is different and one needs to observe their own tank and act according to what they see. Water changes in my view are a inefficient method of nutrient export but they do replenish trace elements which is good. I believe the weekly changes will lead to more consistent availability of these elements. Large percentage water changes can be destabilizing to a reef tank.
    This is great advice.I change 1.5% daily with the assistance of my Apex.I just add fresh mix water once a week(30 gallons) 150 display,75 gallon sump and fuge and 40 gallon frag tank conected to the same system. Slow and easy always works best

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

My tanks been doing so good now I'm afraid to change my water-it's been 2 months-not like me at all but it's working-so maybe when I do change it soon I should only do a small like 3-5gs?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last