[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Magnet advice from a guy that gets paid to clean tanks

Bookmark and Share
    carlitofish - Reefkeeper CR Sponsor
    First Name
    carl

Default Magnet advice from a guy that gets paid to clean tanks

Here is some magnet advice I can share. I mix my magnets up with a Magnavore 8 and a mago float on many of the tanks I clean. I also would never use a mago float as is. I think they suck unless you put a dobie scotch brite pad "sock on it. The Dobie turns even a mago float into something that can work well. You never have to replace your mago float then. It works great on acrylic tanks as well. This tip allows me to clean 8 tanks a day, everyday without breaking a sweat. On real thick tanks (like a 3 thousand I clean I double and triple up on magnets and turn them into monster magnets. If anyone wants a lesson on making a magoflaot work, I'd be happy to help teach you.

Magfloat and dobie should clean a 100 gallon tank real easy. also when using the dobie go with the grain of the grit. That means the long way of the mago float. not the short end. that way the mago float will not pop off.

Cut the yellow sponge out. insert your magnet in its place.

http://www.drugstore.com/scotch-brit...h=Scotch-Brite
    Likes AJ :), MizTanks liked this post

AJ :) - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    aj

Quote Originally Posted by carlitofish View Post
    Here is some magnet advice I can share. I mix my magnets up with a Magnavore 8 and a mago float on many of the tanks I clean. I also would never use a mago float as is. I think they suck unless you put a dobie scotch brite pad "sock on it. The Dobie turns even a mago float into something that can work well. You never have to replace your mago float then. It works great on acrylic tanks as well. This tip allows me to clean 8 tanks a day, everyday without breaking a sweat. On real thick tanks (like a 3 thousand I clean I double and triple up on magnets and turn them into monster magnets. If anyone wants a lesson on making a magoflaot work, I'd be happy to help teach you.

Magfloat and dobie should clean a 100 gallon tank real easy. also when using the dobie go with the grain of the grit. That means the long way of the mago float. not the short end. that way the mago float will not pop off.

Cut the yellow sponge out. insert your magnet in its place.

Buy Scotch-Brite Dobie Cleaning Pad & More | drugstore.com
    What would you use for 1" acrylic? I was thinking of getting one of those huge magfloats.
    I have a magnavore 8 but it's kind of a pain to use. Plus dropping a big magnet in a 4' deep tank is a PITA.

Hopkins - Reefkeeper
    Administrator

First Name
    Adam
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014.

I've also heard that a new trick is to use a magic eraser between the magnets.
    rc Hopkins sig - Magnet advice from a guy that gets paid to clean tanks

thefishgirl - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Becky

For the little nano size magnets, I cut the dobie in half, so I get a two-for-one.
    Likes carlitofish liked this post

First Name
    carl

Quote Originally Posted by AJ :) View Post
    What would you use for 1" acrylic? I was thinking of getting one of those huge magfloats.
    I have a magnavore 8 but it's kind of a pain to use. Plus dropping a big magnet in a 4' deep tank is a PITA.

I would use your 8 on one side and a mago float on the inside with a dobie. Or put a dobie on your 8 it will make it go over acrylic so much easier. Dobies go on inside of tank. Now on the outside wax the tank up. put a micro fiber shammy between the magnet and the outside of the acrylic. THAT IS VERY IMPORTANT. Also, It's expensive but I would use a Mag 8 1/2 on the outside and the mag 6er floating on the inside. That would kill the algae on your tank with ease. But 1st try the mago float and mag 8 combo. I hope I did not confuse you.

I would not use a huge mago float.
    Likes AJ :) liked this post

First Name
    carl

Quote Originally Posted by Hopkins View Post
    I've also heard that a new trick is to use a magic eraser between the magnets.
    Hopkins. I like the magic eraser not with the magnet though. It slips out too easy.

AJ :) - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    aj

Thanks! I'll try those plans out. So a mag float 350 for inside if I read that right?

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Interesting info! But how much do you charge to clean tanks ?