[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I added the sand and it's not good.

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Default I added the sand and it's not good.

I added just one 30lb bag to my sps 135g. Took hours for it to clear and I blew off all the corals with a baster. But, I turned on my Tunze and another cloud started up. So I turned it back off.

I wanted to add another bag, but I'm not sure the inhabitants can take another hit like this one. I soaked the sand overnight in ro and rinsed the heck out of it, but it still went nuts in there.

Q: Will this sand ever settle down completely or do I need to lower my flow to almost nothing? I'm using the aragonite oolitic sugar size from Carib Sea.
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

It will eventually settle down but you may have to adjust your flow, especially if there is a lot of flow near the sandbed. Thats why I don't like the sugar sand.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

By any chance do you have a hot magnum canister filter w/ the micron filter? They do wonders clearing the really small particalsof dust thats mixed with the sand, after an initial addition to a tank. You will need to rinse it a few times, but will help alot.

I would also go to as minimal flow as possible- none would be best. Maybe just leave the overflow and return running. Do you have a filter sock? Could be helpfull. If you can adjust your return slow, alot of the dust in the water should settle in the bottom of your sump, instead of your fish tank.

First Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by bluwc View Post
    It will eventually settle down but you may have to adjust your flow, especially if there is a lot of flow near the sandbed. Thats why I don't like the sugar sand.
    I learned the hard way. I'm going to use something larger for the other tank. Are you familiar with the Carib sea reef select? I don't want crushed coral, but something in between that and this baby powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    By any chance do you have a hot magnum canister filter w/ the micron filter? They do wonders clearing the really small particalsof dust thats mixed with the sand, after an initial addition to a tank. You will need to rinse it a few times, but will help alot.

I would also go to as minimal flow as possible- none would be best. Maybe just leave the overflow and return running. Do you have a filter sock? Could be helpfull. If you can adjust your return slow, alot of the dust in the water should settle in the bottom of your sump, instead of your fish tank.
    Sounds good Chris. I reduced the flow by half on the controller and moved all PH's up near the top. I don't have a canister filter, but I do have filter socks. Good idea and thanks.
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

First Name
    Tom

O.k. this stuff is impossible to contain and it's all over my corals. Won't settle down even when I turn all tunzes down to almost nothing and kill the closed loop.

So...I ordered another 5 x 40lbs of carib sea reef select. Not crushed coral, but not powder either.

I'm only putting one 40lb bag of the reef select in the 135, but 4 bags in the other system. No sugar size in there. I'll save the other three bags of aragamax for another nitrate reducing experiment or something.

Q:Can I just put this over the sugar size sand or do I need to remove the sand first? Please tell me I can just mix it... Also, if anybody's ever mixed these two, will it stop the powder from moving around?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sorry darlin but the heavier carib will eventually work it's way down leaving the sand once again on top. Best option is to remove as much of the sand as possible.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sounds like you have a real mess on your hands.....

I think, if I were you, I would move the corals from the cloudy tank to another location. Stop flow entirely in the foggy tank and wait it out. It will eventually settle, but not with any amount of flow in the tank- so it seems.

I dont see any reason not to mix the sands. Yes, the fine will work its way to the top, but- it will be settled and not blow around as easily as fresh added sand that you are dealing with right now.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

After having sand in my 8g for 2 years, it never did totally settle down. It was a total pain. And I didn't have the flow that Tom has. I've seen lots of peoples having the same issues using sand for substrate in a reef tank. Especially where higher flow is required.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

The reef select is good stuff. Very nice size I love it.
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Is this the same tank as the temp problem in the other thread? If it is, my advice is to slow down and stop messing with things.

The fine sand will eventually gain some biomass and settle. I agree the fine stuff isn't the way to go especially if you have a lot of flow.

While Miztanks may be right, I think by the time that happens you will have enough biomass on the sand to keep it from stirring up as easily.

Get what you can with a canister filter and go easy on the changes for awhile.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last