[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

id needed plz

Bookmark and Share
    RHAPALA - Reefkeeper Registered User
    NORTH EAST PA. YES MY TOWN IS REALLY CALLED NORTH EAST

Default id needed plz

hey all as most may know i got this guy yesterday impulse buy on my wifes' daughters and my part. the lfs stated that he will eat the flake. but i did a search on him on the net and i dident have much luck . i wanna do right for this fish and make sure hes healthy he seems to suck in the flake but spits if out after about 30 secs and hes picking at my lr i need to know if i need to run to the other not so lfs and get somthing for him. is this infact a angel fish?

thanks in advance for comming and helping me out

Jim

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

that to me looks like a heralds angelfish (Centropyge heraldi) or a false lemonpeel angel. they are known to pick and lps and clams. they are constant grazers so make sure you keep him well fed with a varied diet.
    fulltankshot 1 - id needed plz

so if thats true and if i understand that right hes gonna pick the crap out of my corals when i do get them??? hmmm well i guess thats what i get fora impulse buy.......right now we feed with omega one marine flake..... he picking at the algae in the tank. and if hes a picker that mean he can kill them? or just picking them clean of other things?

looks like i'm gonna have to do some reading

You accidentally stumbled across one of the major rules in reefkeeping.

Read, research, read some more, ask questions and maybe some more research before you buy ANYTHING.

I agree with Greg.

Here's some info from LiveAquaria...

The Yellow Angelfish from the Cook Islands is also known as the False Lemonpeel Angelfish, and is completely bright yellow in color. They resemble the Lemonpeel Angelfish with the exception of the blue markings around the eyes and the edges of the fins.

The Yellow Angelfish requires a 30 gallon or larger aquarium with hiding places and large amounts of live rock for grazing. In the reef aquarium, this species may nip at large-polyped stony corals, some soft coral polyps, and clam mantles.

The diet of the Yellow Angelfish should include Spirulina, marine algae, high-quality angelfish preparations, mysid or frozen shrimp, and other meaty items.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

Iconz - Reefkeeper CR Member

bleh, this fish isn't even in my fish ID book! lol

welp i really like this fish and we want to keep him.............in the world of fish dose nipping mean killing? or a nip here and there? and if i were to get the meaty foods and keep him well fed would that curb the nipping?
    well i guess time will tell on most ofthis it really is a nice fish and i would hate to give up on the bugger just yet.................................and i'm starting to toy with the idea of taking down my ciclid tank if i do them i will make a fowlr and place him in it but i hope it dont come to that

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

if you keep them fed well that will keep te nipping down. its a crap shoot for sure.
    fulltankshot 1 - id needed plz

CR Member

Watch him see if he picks on corals. Do you have any corals in the tank yet? When you do put corals in the tank....try finding $15 frags so that you aren't putting an $80 coral in that the angelfish might enjoy. Nipping means that they taste it to see if they like it. If it doesn't eat the frag then you can consider getting more varieties etc. Keep lots of food it DOES like in the tank and see if it is happy with that. Try some nori - it's what you wrap around your sushi... See if it likes that. Give the lil guy a chance he might just fit into your tank's community! ......and remember next time research before you buy! LOL
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that stupidity has no limits!

hummer - Reefkeeper CR Member

hope its not a nipper
    :: hummer :nemo

WELP I'M AT WORK NOW BUT TO ANSWER A QUESTION OR TWO I BELIVE THE FISH IS VERY HAPPY IN MY TANK HAPPY ANUFF TO KNOW I AM HIS KEEPER HE SWIMS TO THE GLASS TO SEE ME EVERY DAY......AS FOR DO I HAVE CORALS YET SADLY NO I HAVE NOT YET UPGRADED MY LIGHTING THAT NEXT MONTH WHEN I GET THEM OUT OF LAYAWAY AT MY LFS. AND FOR FOOD YEAH I HAVE TRIED THE DRIED SEAWEED I HAVE ALSO GIVEN HIM AND MY OTHER FISH FROZEN FOODS ALTHOUGH I CANT REALLY RECALL THE NAMES BUT I HAVE LIKE 3 FROZEN FOODS I GIVE I ALSO GIVE FLAKE HE SEEMS TO LIKE THAT OK ANUFF I ALSO TEAR UP THE KELP (SEA WEED) AND I HAVE A IN TANK CLIP THAT I HANG IT IN AS WELL AS THE CUBES OF FROZEN FOODS AND HE AND MY OTHER FISH SEEM TO GRAZE ON IT. I BELIVE ONE OF THE FOODS IS ANG SPONGE FOOD. I'LL POST AGAIN WHEN I GET HOME.