[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

If You Love This Hobby, Pay Attention

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    fishtal - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tal
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Default If You Love This Hobby, Pay Attention

If you've been in the aquarium hobby for more than a year you should know something about the anti-aquarium efforts in Hawaii. They are going after the trade from a different direction this year: http://blog.aquanerd.com/2012/10/ant...ollection.html

But they aren't alone... Australia while trying to protect the Great Barrier reef has pretty much shut down Cairns Marine and , potentially, many more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nat...-1226517741842

Snorkel Bob seems to now be bringing Florida into the equation now too: http://beachcarolina.com/2012/11/25/...able-trinkets/
    There are many misleading statements in this article as well as outright lies so be careful when you read it.
    If the anti-aquarium people have their way the fish trade could be shut down. Please pay attention to what is going on in the bigger picture.
    Last edited by fishtal; 11-25-2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Fixed link
    Save a fish, Breed your own!
    www.fishtalpropagations.com
    Likes bigbill liked this post

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

First 2 links = broken.

First Name
    Tal

Fixed, thanks!

slapshot - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I really think we should go after Snorkel Bob. I don't know about many of you divers but I have witnessed, stopped and scolded many a snorkeler who has no idea what they are doing standing on coral, crashing into it anchoring into it throwing trash over board. There is plenty of blame to go around and we should try to do better but this pot calling the kettle black needs to be out out there also.

First Name
    Tal

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    I really think we should go after Snorkel Bob. I don't know about many of you divers but I have witnessed, stopped and scolded many a snorkeler who has no idea what they are doing standing on coral, crashing into it anchoring into it throwing trash over board. There is plenty of blame to go around and we should try to do better but this pot calling the kettle black needs to be out out there also.
    It is very complicated. I am also a diver and have seen the same things. It's the people with the loudest voices that get heard. Bob and Rene are playing the emotional card and not backing up their arguments with facts. To be fair, there are a lot of bad things that go on in the trade that most hobbyists don't know, or care, about.

There is another petition going around that wants to place A. percula and several other damselfishes on the endangered list. Not because of over-collection but because of ocean acidification affecting their biology. Protection sought for clownfish that inspired Finding Nemo — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

First Name
    Tal

Awards Photo of the Month - May 2012 Photo of the Month Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

So if I read this right pretty much no more wild caught acros, is this correct?

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot View Post
    So if I read this right pretty much no more wild caught acros, is this correct?
    There are a few familiar acros on the list of 66, but there are a few that aren't on there as well. So I'm guessing there would still be some wild collected available.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    There are a few familiar acros on the list of 66, but there are a few that aren't on there as well. So I'm guessing there would still be some wild collected available.
    There are quite a few familiar ones on there. Thanks for the information Jim. Our hobby is under assault from a lot of areas. I'm torn about what to do with this. I hate the fact hat the reefs are being picked over but I love my tank. I guess this will force is into more maricultured or aquacultured corals, which is a good thing.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I think the bigger issue is ocean acidification/global warming. I see the point that collection stresses and already stressed system.

(Warning the below paragraph is very pessimistic....)

I personally feel that many (...most) of the reef species aren't going to make it regardless of any conservation actions that are taken at this point. If global warming is anthropological, I don't see the world making changes that will stop it ...and even if all the countries stopped producing greenhouse gasses today, it may be too late anyways since there is likely latency between the cause and effect of global warming (enough carbon already in the atmosphere to continue to do irrevocable damage). And if you are in the camp that thinks global warming is a natural cycle, then there is also really nothing that can be done about it except to let nature take its course. (If you are still denying global warming even exists, then you haven't been watching the news with all the reports of polar icecaps melting in the past couple months.)

I think there is no doubt that our reef aquariums will have a lot less bio diversity (i.e., available livestock) as global warming continues.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last