[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I'm confused.....again! About killing mojanos?

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default I'm confused.....again! About killing mojanos?

I've been reading a post about killing aiptasia and mojanos.

Let's focus on killing mojanos. Do I understand correctly that peppermint shrimp and copperband butterflies will eat mojanos??
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that stupidity has no limits!

harmanrk - Reefkeeper CR Member

My peppermint shrimp ate my Manjos. But to say they (all) will is a difficult statment. Some may just not like the taste, but as a general rule, they will.

Robert

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Rob that's cool, we've had a dozen or so pepermint shrimp who wouldn't touch either. We brought something into the house last year that must have been laden with hidden aptasia and now because we move things from tank to tank to tank they are everywhere... manually nuking them seems to help, but it's getting old.

We played the same game with majano, but ultimately won that battle, (we found the source and haven't returned to that LFS) haven't seen one since last winter.

Guess it's a crap shoot as to what will predate on them and what won't...
    Karen whatever you try please let us know how it turns out.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

that is correct, peppermint shrimp are a crap shoot. if they have anything else to eat they will eat that first and leave the mojanos last. Copper band are great. they are allways hunting around and picking off mojanos. I have had great success with the cbb I have peppermints in my tanks now and the aptaisa is still there, I am getting a cbb next week. another way is to use kalkwasser and kill them that way or you can use boiling water with some vinegar that works as well too. you just have to be consistant in this. they are buggars to totally eradicate.
    fulltankshot 1 - I'm confused.....again!  About killing mojanos?

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

as Greg stated, i have niether aiptasia or majonos in my tanks since i added the copperband butterflys. even if i do see one of them the next day it is gone.
    i use to use kent's liquid calcium and a 25gauge neddle and syringe to inject them. but one day at a LFS i added an aiptasia infested rock the copperbands tank, in a week they were gone so i took him home !! maybe a LFS would let you do the same !!

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

If you only have a few at the moment, either use Joe's juice, Greg's method, or the homemade stuff from pickling lime mixed with water to form a paste. Spread the paste on the aiptaisa or mojano making sure to coat them completely. The paste tends to harden on to of the pest and kill it. The paste will melt away eventually and will not hurt anything else at all in your tank. It works great on both. I've been busy making sure there are none in my Seahorse tank because I actually had an aiptaisa attach to a tail of one of my Seahorse. It left a nastly little wound on my pony, and she was quite sick for 3 days. Don't underestimate these nasty beasts! Good Luck! ....Angel :angel1:
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

Angel is correct, these little buggars pack a pretty good sting, I have had them kill off zoanthids, the little suckers just spring up in the middle of a zoo colony and before you know it, all the zoanthids around that aptasia are all dying. eradicating these guys is not a one shot deal also. this is something that you have to stay with, just when you think they are gone y ou will allways have one or two little suckers hiding where you cannot see them and before you know it you see little babies popping up in your tank. I have yet to see A SINGLE TANK that is 100% free of aptasia. and if anybody there thinks they do THEY ARE WRONG!!!! these guys are a pain in the butt. but when you do have them under control they are quite easy to manage.
    fulltankshot 1 - I'm confused.....again!  About killing mojanos?

CR Member

Thanks All! I don't have either the mojano or the aiptasia - yet - I was just trying to learn various ways of eliminating them when they do appear. I did have 2 mojanos with the new green star coral i'd gotten but we got rid of both of them pretty easily. Those suckers were travelers! I think my favorite solution of all the above is borrowing a Copperband LOL. Thanks for clearing up my confusion y'all!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that stupidity has no limits!