[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

J B Wield

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Corvette Reefer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default J B Wield

I got a cracked skimmer and my dad bought j b wield to fix it, is this marine safe.
    The names Vette, Corvette. . .

does anybody know if its safe? i really need to know so i can fix my skimmer now.

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

I dont know for sure but I would guess not.
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Here is the pic of the JB water weld I used to create my aquascape:

1303 pict0410 - J B Wield

I did a lot of research and found out it is reef safe. Has been in my tank for months with coral, fish and inverts with no problem. If yours is the same it will work fine!

Well mines not water weld its just normals j-b weld, at the bottom it says steel reinforced epoxy, but on the list of things it says marine, so i have no idea if its safe

jbweld lrg - J B Wield thats the stuff

jay13 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jay

even listings that say "marine" are in no way claiming they are saltwater animal safe. only that a marine environment will not destroy the bond that compound has created between the parts of broken equipment. having used jb weld before i can tell you it would not go into my system. it is a chemical reaction that causes the two part solution to become a one part "fix" for engine blocks and other metal surfaces. claiming any of these items is "safe" is just not a good idea. have they worked for some? sure, but some people also get away with all silica sand in a reef. others cram six tangs in a 30 gallon. does it work? well it does till it doesn't. why are we not using Cyanoacrylate and at at most even weldon (which is still questionable to me)? this is a skimmer, not a pressure rated piece of equipment. it does not need all that, just something to fill the crack up. if it is more than a crack it might just need to be pitched and a new one purchased.

1.)here is jb weld resins hazard chems...
    Calcium Carbonate 40-50% 1317-65-3 ACGIH: TWA 10 mg/m
    OSHA: PEL 15 mppcf
    Iron Powder 10-20% 65997-19-5 ACGIH TLV 15 mg/m
    OSHA: PEL 15 mppcf
    Epoxy Resin 30-40% 25068-38-6 N/E
    Aromatic Hydrocarbons 1-5 % 64742-94-5 N/

2.)here is the hardener hazard chems....
    Calcium Carbonate 30-40% 1317-65-3 ACGIH TWA 10 mg/m
    OSHA PEL 15 mppcf
    Barium Sulfate 20-30% 7727-43-7 ACGIH TWA 10 mg/m
    OSHA PEL 2 mppcf
    Magnesium Silicate 5-10% 14807-96-6 ACGIH TWA 2 mg/m
    OSHA PEL 20 mppcf
    Titanium Dioxide 1-5% 13463-67-7 ACGIH TWA 10 mg/m
    OSHA PEL 20 mg/m
    Zinc Sulfide 0-5% 1314-98-3 ACGIH TLV 10 mg/m
    Furfuryl Alcohol 1-5% 98-00-0 ACGIH TWA 10 ppm
    Polyamide Resin 15-25% 68410-23-1 N/E
    Aminophenols 1-5 % Mixture N/E

3.)here is waterwelds.....
    Ingredient Name CAS Number Percent TSCA
    Glycidyl ethers of bisphenol A resins 25068-38-6 10 - 30 Y
    HMIS Health: 2 Fire: 1 Reactivity: 0 PPI: B
    Tri(dimethylaminomethyl)phenol 90-72-2 0.5 - 1.5 Y
    HMIS Health: 3 Fire: 1 Reactivity: 1 PPI: D
    Zinc sulfide 1314-98-3 0.5 - 1.5 Y
    HMIS Health: 1 Fire: 0 Reactivity: 0 PPI: E
    *** ALL Ingredients in this product are listed in the T.S.C.A. Inventor

please note the resin (#1) does nothing until added to the hardener (#2.) Tri(dimethylaminomethyl)phenol (in waterweld) is a immunotoxin by itself.....
    Last edited by jay13; 05-15-2011 at 09:08 AM.

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Well if you just cracked the plastic, could you use superglue or some silicone instead that you know is reef safe?

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

Epoxy in and of it'self isn't toxic, many of us use the two part putty to attach coral to rock or to build an aquascape. And that stuff cures while in the tank. That said I would be a little hesitant to use jb weld original in the tank without talking to someone who has done it.

My guess is that you could make your bond on the outside of the skimmer and let it cure and you would have little if any tank water contact with the epoxy, unless the crack is low enough to be under the water. I would search a little more and hit up a few more forums before I made the move.

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Hmm I wouldn't risk using that type. Can you return it? I picked up the JB Water Weld at Home Depot for like $5 or $6. I would go look for the type I showed a picture of or Aquamend. Those are both reef safe and cheap. Not worth risking your whole tank to safe a few dollars.

even listings that say "marine" are in no way claiming they are saltwater animal safe. only that a marine environment will not destroy the bond that compound has created between the parts of broken equipment. having used jb weld before i can tell you it would not go into my system. it is a chemical reaction that causes the two part solution to become a one part "fix" for engine blocks and other metal surfaces. claiming any of these items is "safe" is just not a good idea. have they worked for some? sure, but some people also get away with all silica sand in a reef. others cram six tangs in a 30 gallon. does it work? well it does till it doesn't. why are we not using Cyanoacrylate and at at most even weldon (which is still questionable to me)? this is a skimmer, not a pressure rated piece of equipment. it does not need all that, just something to fill the crack up. if it is more than a crack it might just need to be pitched and a new one purchased.
    i have no ideaa what any of that means hahah

i guess the way i understand is it might be safe for a little while?

And for the skimmer it is not a crack its a big chip out of the spot that the collection cup attaches to the base:need help to repair my skimmer.

i tried just loading the spot with silcone didnt work, idk what else to do, im not going to buy another collection cup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last