[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

just a simple question

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member

Default just a simple question

hello im new to this site and so far it seems to be very helpful and its nice you dont have to pay for it like other sites. i have a 55 gallon saltwater tank tht has been running for about 3 months so far i have mostly all mushrooms, zooas, and green star polyps, and galaxia coral. i have 260 watt of pc lighting i know its not alot but its the only thing i can afford for 100 bucks and also MH would run my electricity bill up to much however i was wondering if i would be able to have any kind of sps coral, and also if i was to get a deresa clam would it be able to live? i want my tank to look good and i dont know what other corals there are that would make it look relle nice. thanks

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Welcome to CR!

Thanks for joining us here at CR! Sounds like you have some great plans for your tank. You have a nice start with your 55g. It will be a raving beauty before you know it!

First I will say to you....take your time in adding new coral and fish to your tank. I've heard more people including ourselves cry over the loss of wonderful coral because we wanted that "complete reef" look! Ask lots of questions here, and you'll get a wealth of knowledge.

You have mostly soft coral in your tank right now, so you may want to lean in that direction. If you choose to add stony coral, make sure there is adequate distance between all coral. Good husbandry is a key to success when reefing. If you see a coral stressing, do your homework, and see if it possibly is in conflict with another piece in your tank. Move one piece to another area of your tank that suits it well.

I'm sure you'll get a good response to your questions, so I'll leave this open for the rest of the board to post on. Enjoy the site, and visit us often! :D
    Happy Holidays! ....Angel
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

JOHN, glad to see you made your way over here. there are a lot of good people here. like I said before. you might be able to get away with like a digitata and make sure its high in the tank to get the best light. and with the clams deresa will be the best clam for your light. the more vibrant clams need alot better lighting. but if your like the rest of us you will be upgrading that light. welcome aboard buddy.
    fulltankshot 1 - just a simple question

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Squamosa and Durasa may be ok in the lower light... I prefer squamosa due to the fact that Durasa get much larger. As Greg said, lower light sps high on the rock, may be successful. For those lower light corals, I agree with the monti digitata, as well as some deeper water acros. However, water quality is a serious issue... especially in a smaller system with a highly mixed reef. As Angel mentioned, there is alot of things happening in the system without even apperantly having any contact... it is called chemical warfare between corals. Try a google on that and research until your eyes bleed, then take everything, opinion, etc with a grain of salt because just because it works for me or another reefer, doesn't mean it will work for you. Good luck and welcome to CR!!!
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

aaahhh repto, your are correct sir. especially the softies are notorious for alleopathy (chemical warfare) and the smaller the tank the quicker the parameters shift.
    fulltankshot 1 - just a simple question

greg97527 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

this is my 55 so no worries bud, you will have a alot more room than you think in a 55 gallon.
    It's all about the reef. :YEAH:

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

BTW, make sure after you have a grasp on your water quality, to keep up on those levels that seem to be the essential side of SPS corals:Alkalinity, Calcium, and NEVER FORGET... Magnesium.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

CR Member

i have a buffer and stabalizer that keeps them at the levls they should be i hhink i dose twice aweek. im also gonan try to get a frogspawn head is there any tips how to make it thrive and not die?

The best way is to maintain stability. Keep your reef parameters within goal ranges around the clock, and that also requires maintaining water quality with a good skimmer and water changes. Water changes are debated, but it is usually the cheapest solution to most problems our tanks encounter.

If your frogspawn isn't doing well, it could be:

lack of adequate lighting
    too much direct flow
    too high nitrates
    too high phosphate
    predation by something in the tank

It is one of the easier corals, provided you are doing everything you should to keep the tank running as it should.
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

Sparky - Reefkeeper CR Member

How do you control Magnesium levels. Haven't test MAG yet I paln on getting a Salifert test kit in the morning. I am having problems raising my calcium and Alalinity, I am adding B-Ionic 2 part Cal, and Alk, I do 10-15% WC bi weekly, and have a new 6 stag RODI just installed 3 months ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last