[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Just Starting

Bookmark and Share

Question Just Starting

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and new to salt water aquariums. I have always wanted one and now I decided to start.

I have purchased a 75g tank w/ stand, 700gph overflow box, 2-200 watt heaters, 2 rio m820 power heads, 18 watt Jali CFL regug light kit, and a CPR aqua fuge pro.

I haven

dsfdbutterfly - Reefkeeper Registered User

Welcome to CR, your starting out with some nice stuff. The people here can lead you better than I can about what you will need for you fuge.

Clean up crew is all dependant upon what you like to see. They suggested to me to start with some turbo snails, astreas snails, ceriths snails and get yourself an urchin (best purchase I made by far make sure he's reef safe). That size of tank I don't know what the numbers should be. So I'm not really helping you much. I started out with a small number and had to increase because I have MH lighting and they weren't keeping up. Each tank is different dependant on the load. Personally I would stay away from crabs if you are going to do a reef tank. Not only do they only pick at the dietris but they eat the coraline aglae too quickly and they have been known to kill a snail for it's shell.

Good luck and there are many knowledgable people here so ask away.

Angie
    When you make a mistake look for the lesson to be learned and try not to repeat it.

CR Member

I have a 55G setup and this is a rough estimate on my cleanup
    1 Sea Cucumber
    1 Sea Hare
    1 Brown Brittle Starfish (Don't get green)
    1 Blue tip starfish
    1 Halloween Hermit
    2 Cleaner Shrimp
    3 Peppermint Shrimp
    4 Reg Leg Hermits
    4 Micro Serpeant Stars
    8 Mexican Turbo Snails
    8 Bumble Bee Snails
    8 Astrea Snails
    16 Margarita Snails
    32 Nivex Snails

I plan to add 1 urchin and possibly 1 more starfish, and maybe 2 Blood shrimp. Right now they keep up with the tank and hours of the lights. Some of the snails I have in my ref, and now that I am getting my main tank under control I plan to move some of the smaller snails into the ref to help keep that cleaned up as well.

My refugium has a large amount of Cheato, some Calupra, and 2 Mangroves. I plan to add some more Cheato to the ref as well.

As far as the hermits they don't bother anything, and it is nice to have empty shells you can put into your tank. I found usually LFS will be willing to just give you the empty shells sometimes.