[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Killing Zoa Pox! (The Furan-2 Method)

Bookmark and Share
    Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Default Killing Zoa Pox! (The Furan-2 Method)

This is a follow up on the method I am trying to get rid of the zoanthid pox that are affecting some of my zoa colonies. This is the site that I got the idea from (Zoa pox cure) I found out that the product (Furan-2) has changed since this article was written so I had to tweak it a bit. We will see if it cures them. It has been 4 days now and 2 of the 3 colonies dipped are looking better and there are NO visible 'pox'. One that I tested that was "melting" from some other unknown reason is still not opening but we will keep trying and see what happens. Here is the method outlined step by step. Forgive me people I am not used to writing in this manner.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

Default A bit of background info.

whatthe - Killing Zoa Pox! (The Furan-2 Method)
    Here are pictures of one of the colonies that was very infected with the "pox". I had posted a thread to identify this back a month ago or so.

Funny thing is that at first it seemed that there were more zoas in my tank that were inflicted by this. I had originally thought I would remove a whole rock that seemed to have some "sickly" zoas on it just cause I had read that it was very contagious, and I didn't want it to wipe out all my beautiful zoas. I don't know what exactly made me "put it off" but I think it was like first I waited for pay day to order the Furan-2 because no one in my town sold it. SO they didn't sell it on a site that I had to order other things from... it got put off more... FINALLY I ordered it from Dr. Foster and Smith when I ordered my salt mix. the salt mix came the next day, the furan-2 came a week later... no kidding.
    Anyhew, it seems that all but 2 of the identical type of zoanthids were still inflicted enough where they were beginning to melt a bit, and most were pinched closed.
    DSCF2359 1 - Killing Zoa Pox! (The Furan-2 Method)
    The colony infected still where an all blue 1/8 inch varity with green mouths and brown skirts.
    (Top right of this picture, I can't find a better one unfortunately)

I started the treatment on Tuesday night. In the notes of the above mentioned article it was hard for me to tell if I was to make this "furan-2 and water mix" in a little quarantine tank... or in a bowl. And if in a bowl... how much water? How much of these "packets" were in a "capsule" like the directions called for? How long if in a QT? Can I treat the whole tank??? (This is a big NO in my opinion..although this guy seems to think it would be ok)
    As you can tell the article had good information but there wasn't a cut and dry method that was used. Even the active ingredients are different for Furan-2 then was referenced in the article.

Background on the "Meds"
    Furan-2 is a anti-bacterial fish medication that treats a wide variety of GRAM-Negative bacteria. It is an API "Pro Series" product that is used on fish with tail/ fin rot, bacterial gill disease, body slime and eye cloud etc. The active ingredients are: 60 mg Nitrofurazone and 25 mg Furazolidone. Each dose comes in a paper packet and there are 10 packets in each box.
    If you have read this much, I hope that the method I will outline next will help you in alleviating your zoa pox.
    I am only 4 days into this process and plan to contenue in the same method until my zoas seem to be cured or die or I run out of packets... whichever comes first

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

The correct dosage is one packet per 8 oz salt water (one cup). I used three packets to get the water level deep enough to dip my colonies. 25 minute dip that can be repeated up to three times, with a week off following treatment. It really works well, everything always comes right back. Anecdotally, a water change following treatment is beneficial as well.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

Tuesday night:

Not sure if I would use my whole 5 gallon quarantine tank or not I did a 100% water change with fresh salt rodi mix. I heated it to the same temp as my tank and put a small powerhead in it to keep the water moving a bit.
    IMG 0128 - Killing Zoa Pox! (The Furan-2 Method)

After reading the article again, I decide to just use the tank as my "fresh saltwater mix" and not qt the zoas in there. I tore open one Furan-2 packet, and dumped it into a plastic cup I use for "coral rx" and iodine dipping. "Its yellow!!" That was the first thing I said out loud to myself. The article talked about it "dying" the water green and even turning the zoas greenish. But to my surprise this stuff turned my water urine yellow!

2.5 warmed to my tanks temp. fresh made saltwater + 1 packet of yellow Furan-2 powder. I mixed with a plastic spoon until dissolved. Placed 2 blue zoa pox covered colonies into yellow water. Used turkey baster to blast them with it a bit and aerate the water ever 5 mins. Timed for 30 minutes. Took zoanthids out and swished them in my sump. Stuck them back in the tank. Looked at them later, they looked the same. Like crap and not opened.
    (Discarded furan-2 and fresh saltwater in cup down the drain and rinsed the cup with tap water. Washed hands.

Wednesday Night (about the same time):

2.5 cups of fresh mixed salt water out of 5 gallon QT that is heated to the same temp as my tank. One packet of Furan-2. Mixed till dissolved. Added Zoas (swished water etc.) 30 minuets and rinsed swished the zoas in the sump to rinse them again. Stuck them back in.
    I noticed that they look a bit better. They are not open, but there are only a couple of pox left on each colony.

Thursday night:
    In the original article the dude talks about "letting them rest" between treatments. He was not really clear about this so I picked Thursday for the "rest" day and did nothing to the zoas. Noticed that about half the polyps were open on one rock and only 2 are open on the other. All the flesh I could see looks about the same a couple pox visible.

IMG 0133 - Killing Zoa Pox! (The Furan-2 Method)
    Open packet..
    IMG 0130 - Killing Zoa Pox! (The Furan-2 Method)
    It's Yellow!
    IMG 0131 - Killing Zoa Pox! (The Furan-2 Method)
    using the turkey baster to add some circulation.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

Default Fridays results.

Friday a little while ago. . .

Same exact procedure as the Tuesday and Wednesday. This time after I had them in the cup for about 15 minutes I added a teaspoon of Iodine to the water and used a small soft toothbrush to scrub the colonies lightly and remove the "pox" and any cyano that was kinda clinging to the dead parts of the rock surrounding. After the scrub I put them back and left them for the remaining time. When the timer went off I took them one at a time and swished them in my sump then placed them back in their places in the DT. There were no visible pox left on either colony. The polyps were tightly closed.

IMG 0173 - Killing Zoa Pox! (The Furan-2 Method)
    IMG 0171 - Killing Zoa Pox! (The Furan-2 Method)
    One hour later: polyps were starting to open on both colonies. Although they look roughed up a bit opening is a great sign!! I took a couple of pictures that sucked... I will get some better ones with the under water camera in the morning. So I can zoom in a get some good detailed shots. These were through the glass with my iPhone hard to photo once the actinic come one.

to be continued.............
    Last edited by Heidi; 07-22-2011 at 09:34 PM.

CableGuy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

"Urine Yellow"... Delicious!

Thanks for the quick write up. Make sure to show up after results by touching the zoa's so they close up so we can see all the pox gone.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Great write up. Thank you soo much for sharing! Looking forward to seeing your results.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi

Here are the 2 pictures I took today of the 2 colonies. Both are looking pretty good.
    IMG 0183 - Killing Zoa Pox! (The Furan-2 Method)IMG 0179 - Killing Zoa Pox! (The Furan-2 Method)

I will let you know how these are doing in a week or so. Hope this thread helps others and thanks for reading!

Heidi
    Likes CableGuy liked this post

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Very nice write up Heidi-congrats on the successful treatment-looks like they're gonna make it
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com