[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

LONG TIME

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    RHAPALA - Reefkeeper Registered User
    NORTH EAST PA. YES MY TOWN IS REALLY CALLED NORTH EAST

Default LONG TIME

HELLO EVERYONE I HAVE BEEN GONE FOR SO LONG BEEN WORKING GOIGING TO SCHOOL AND A TON OF OTHER STUFF.,

ANYWAYS AT REQUEST OF MY WIFE I AM SOME WHAT TEARING DOWN MY 2ND SALT TANK AND SHE WANTS ME TO TURN IT INTO A SEA HORSE TANK

NOW WHAT I WAS THINKING AND TELL ME IF THIS WOULD WORK LEAVE THE WATER SAND AND SOME ROCKS IN THE TANK. ALSO LEAVE THE CLEANING CREW HERMITS AND SNAILS I COULD THEN RAKE DOWN THE SAND AND MAKE IT LVL THEN MAYBE FAKE GRASS OR SOMTHING? AS FAR AS WATER MOVMENT I WAS THINKING OF PLACING A OTB WATER FILTER THAT IS RATED FOR A 75 GAL TANK AND A POWERHEAD WHICH IN MY MIND IS A LOW FLOW YET HIGH TURN OVER WATER TRANSFER ................MY NEXT PROBLEM IS MY LFS WANTS 60 DOLLARS PER HORSE AND I'M NOT SURE WHAT KIND THEY ARE BUT THEY SWEAR THEY ARE TANK RAISED. IS 60 A GOOD PRICE OF THEM OR IS THERE A BETTER DEAL ELSE WHERE . ALSO ON THE WATER THATS IN THE TANK RIGHT NOW AS FAR AS WATER CHANGES DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE OK? MY WATER CHECKS SAY THAT THE WATER IS GOOD. IN ANY CASE YOUR THOUGHTS WOULD BE GREAT

hummer - Reefkeeper CR Member

hi rhapala.........hows it going glad you still here buddy id love to see a couple of pics of your tank and yes all sea horses are pricey

:
    :: hummer :nemo

Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

I personally don't think seahorses should be purchased at a LFS. Try Draco Marine or Seahorse source. Both have Erectus and have steller reputations. I believe you can get them from either place for around 65.00 each. The best thing about buying from them is that's all they do is breed and raise seahorses. They are bred and raised in their tanks, healthy, and ALWAYS eat frozen mysis shrimp. Not to mention the fact that they have been taken care of properly since birth. You know where they came from, where they've been and have all of their history. No taking any chances. Both have excellent customer service and you can call them for help if you need it.

Good luck with you seahorse adventure. They are even more addicting then reef tanks, lol. Once you get the tank ready for them make sure you can keep the temp. under 72. Higher temp. can lead to bacterial infections. Been there and learned the hard way.

Angie

Oh... I believe Tim also has some erectus for sale on seahorse.org in the vendor / seller forum. Another is www.nyseahorse.com. Nyseahorse sells northern erectus. Draco marine sells both northern and southern, seahorsesource sells southern, and I'm not sure if Tim's are northern or southern just incase you have a preference.

Angie

oops I forgot to answer the rest of the questions. I would do a 50% water change. What size tank is it? Instead of fake grass, add some prolifera and feather caulerpa. It helps withthe nitrates and the seahorses love it. It is a natural hitch for them and you don't have to clean it like fake plants. Seahorses that have lots of macros to hang out in tend to have more cirri. Plus it is fun to watch them hunt for pods in the macros. Try to remove any bristle worms that are in the tank. A FW dip of the LR should get them out. Depending on the size of the tank you can also get a canister filter. I have a fluval with a spraybar attachment on my 20g high juvi tank. More flow, yet spread out enough that the seahorses are not stressed or have problems swimming around. On my 75g I have a sump with a mag 9.5 return pump and a ASM G3 skimmer. On my 65g I had a sump with the same skimmer and return pump.

Research meds you should have onhand before you buy the seahorses. IF they get ill, they go downhill fast and you may not get them in time. Seahorse meds have to be ordered. It's not something you can pick up at the local LFS. Seahorsesource had a really good supply or meds. Always have spare 10g tank to use as a hospital tank. (walmart 10.00)

ok 3 post in a row is enough, lol. I'm done now. Can you tell I'm seahorse crazy?

Angie

ok 1 more for a good deal nyseahorse has his northern erectus on sale now in the vendor forum at seahorse.org for $30.00!!!!!!! That is an outstanding price no matter how you look at it. If you get 2 you are still paying about the same as the LFS price including the shipping. Plus you know they are 100% captive bred and healthy. Petty too.

SWEET I WILL TAKE ALL THE ADVICE YOU JUST GAVE ME PLUS I WILL CHECK OUT ALL THOSE SITES YOU TALKED ABOUT IN THE POST............................ALSO SORRY FOR CAPPS IF EVERYONE RECALLS WHEN YA SEE ME POST IN CAPPS THAT MEANS IM WORKING IN THE 911 CENTER SO AGAIN SORRY FOR THE CAPPS .................ON ANOTHER NOTE WOW 30.00 FOR PONIES I'M FOR SURE CHECKING THAT OUT. AFTER ALL WHAT EVER MAKES THE WIFE AND KIDS HAPPY

DOH!!! WHATS A GOOD MIX OF MALE TO FEMALE?? I WAS THINKING 1 MALE TO 3 FEMALES MAKING HIM ONE LUCKY HORSE :p

Unless you plan to breed them, go with all females. The males can get gas bubble disease in their pouches and it's not worth the hassle unless you need the male for breeding. PLUS......if you can't raise the fry (and it's hard to do) it's VERY VERY sad to watch all of the babies die every 2 weeks. If you have males and females, you WILL have hundreds of babies every 2-3 weeks. There's no way around it.

Angie

WOW NEVER LOOKED AT IT THAT WAY LOOKS LIKE I'LL BE GETTING 4 FEMALES FROM NYSEAHORSE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last