[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 ... Last
    CR Member

Ah ok, let's see how it looks in 10 days.

skuttduck - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonicaHelp View Post
    Ah ok, let's see how it looks in 10 days.
    Ok. I have some real strong green turf algae growing on the live rock in my display tank. Do you think I should pull a bit off of there and put it in the scrubber?

I also did a water change last night and discovered a spot in the back of my tank that was littered in detritus that I managed to siphon out. This stuff was like chocolate milk and smelled like sewage.

CR Member

No let it seed on it's own.

BTW, food particles on the reef smell like that

Update: I am starting to get some growth on the window screen I used.

I also changed the lights to the RED led's that Tom gave me. I have the lights on the scrubber 22 hours.

Following.... been getting some bubble algae, so any solution would be great!
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pjr View Post
    Following.... been getting some bubble algae, so any solution would be great!
    Well I will say this. If you get a break out of hair algae, I noticed that it will smother bubble algae and kill it.

I've had some bubble algae that was as big as an egg before and never really had to worry too much about it. I also noticed that the hair algae outbreak has killed a couple stubborn aptasia as well.

I'm not getting huge growth in the scrubber, perhaps the fact I have to empty my skimmer daily and the GFO have something to do with that, or maybe because I used part of a fiberglass window screen instead of the cross stitch stuff.

I am starting to get some really strange slime like algae in the scrubber. It is growing stuff, and I still have the hair algae bloom in the main tank and the skimmer (Euroreef 5-3) is pulling out enough that I have to clean it once a day.Name:  turf-algae-2weeks.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  55.4 KB

CR Member

How's it growing now? That dark growth you posted above, is usually from a weak scrubber light.

Sandra

CR Member

Everybody loves growth pictures:

Day 1:
    hog5 7 - Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

Day 2:
    hog5 8 - Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

Day 3:
    hog5 9 - Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

Day 4:
    hog5 10 - Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

Day 5:
    hog5 11 - Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

Day 6:
    hog5 12 - Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

Day 7:
    hog5 13 - Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

Day 8:
    hog5 14 - Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

Day 9:
    hog5 15 - Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

7 Days of growth after first cleaning:
    hog5 16 - Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

Video of first cleaning after 9 days of growth from a new screen:

Time to eat more TV dinners and save those trays

Sandra

CR Member

Woops, forgot this one :

Video of 7 days of growth after the first cleaning:

Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 ... Last