[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    skuttduck - Reefkeeper CR Member

I will have to get you some new photos.

I never got quite that much growth, but since initially I have a full screen that I have going that I clean off weekly. I also lost my 10 year old squamosa clam

My sump was also upgraded to a larger tank.

I don't seem to have as much hair algae in the main tank, but I do still have some turf algae in there. I'm also growing Halimeda again.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

How do you deal with salt creep on an up-flow algae scrubber?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    How do you deal with salt creep on an up-flow algae scrubber?
    For me, I don't. Mostly because the scrubber is submerged, and any parts that aren't are washed off in the sink during maintenance.

I'll work on getting a couple more pictures and show some of the algae that grows now.

I also get it on the glass of the sump now too.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Yeah, I was thinking more about the salt creep that would be involved with an airstone submerged in saltwater. Seems like a good way to grow stalactites around one's tank/sump.

CR Member

Salt creep doesn't occur until the bubbles come to the surface. So, you just have a box around the surface, it keeps the bubbles in

~SF

Here is how the algae looks now with the newer screen and the red LED lights I got from Tom. Name:  20150629_191707.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  69.2 KB

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
    Here is how the algae looks now with the newer screen and the red LED lights I got from Tom. Name:  20150629_191707.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  69.2 KB
    Would you please upload a picture of the whole set up?

-NP

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonicaHelp View Post
    Would you please upload a picture of the whole set up?

-NP
    Here is how I have it setup. The screen is just held up on the glass with some old magnets. I have an airstone below, then the red LED lights. I have a plastic black plate behind the screen to help prevent algae growing in the sump, but I get some because of the light that leaks around.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

CR Member

Ah, the LEDs are burning the middle. If you can back them up, or put an extra sheet of screen over the light, it will help spread the light out.

Figured I would resurrect this thread with something else kind of interesting. I don't hardly get any turf algae down there anymore. I still get some but nothing I can really harvest. I put a piece of live rock I got from Todd down in the sump and ever since I did that, the bristleworms feast on the turf algae.

It is not something I really mind all too much as I am not getting nuisance algae in the main tank. I am now back to running my metal halides since my panorama LED lights died.

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last