[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

lucky day!!!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default lucky day!!!

Guess what I woke to this morning??? How about the fresh beginnings of an electrical fire. Guess I just put off that 6 way for far too long... salt creep made it's way and finally caused an arc. The lucky part is I was home and the damage was very minimal. Take my advice... don't wait any possibilities!!!

Repto
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Wow!!!! Thats kind of scary. Much damage??? Lucky you were home.

CR Member

that is scary..glad your and your critters are OK. I've heard of VHO fires but not many surge strip fires.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Ummm yup, doesn't take more than a drop or two of SW to really smoke a power strip.... not that we'd really know... Angel and I are tied at a score of 1 each. Both times we were present and doing something and a drip down the arm or whatever and POOF! Working on a new plan for a load center of sorts to mount away from the tank to prevent it from happening ever again.

Explosions and smoke are cool..... just not in the house... REPTO! glad everything is okay.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Sure scares the sh@! out of me!!

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

No kidding!! You should see one of those baby's blow!! Water went over the back of the tank when I broke the siphon trying to get a fish out of the overflow box. Sparks were popping and flashing all over. The tank lights were flickering...this was before the new lighting Thank God, and I'm trying to kick that burning mess out from under the water flow while trying to stop it (wondering if I'm gonna electrocute myself to death standing in water). You know the situation is all wrong, but your looking at all the fish and coral in the tank and your mind is racing. What do you do? I just kept kicking power out of the walls. I can't believe I didn't get zapped. THAT really scared the crappers out of me!!! That power strip and everything else back there was burned beyond recognition. I got the fish out of the overflow though. That's something that we still have to remedy on our set up. We still get a fish in there now and then. Last time it happened , it was our Coral Beauty that went in there, and we have not idea how she even got in there. She's a pretty good sized fish!
    I'm glad you all are safe and that you were there to handle it Jason. It is very scary!!!! You have to take care of those beautiful girls you have there!!
    Hey Chels....how ya doing? :smt039 Take care all! .....Angel
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

I had a water bed leak steadily drip into a power strip. Imagine my surprise when I wole up tho the intermittant sizzling sound......shhzzz shzz shzzz shzzz. "whats that, smoke ?" AGHHHH.! The strip was all melted and mangled looking but it never stopped supplying power! Good thing Rubber waterbed bladders dont conduct electricity. lol Yikes.... Hope everything is good with your tank.
    GT

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Everything is great!!! Looks alot better behind the tank now that all of the electrical is wall mounted and not just a huge rat nest on the floor.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

I've fried a few powerstrips in my day too,fortunately they never caught fire.

Wow glad your ok! Ron had a ballest short out on him and zapped him pretty good one morning. The "wiggle the wire it will come on" didn't work :ooops: ! All of a sudden there was this loud pop-bang He jumped I jumped and the lights went out! It took 3 years before we finaly put a dedicated circit in for just the tank! Fortunatly we haven't had the nesr disater of a fire! Actually I'm amazed it hasn't caught fire! I'll have to dig up the picture of the back of the tank! You'll see what I mean!
    sarah
    Hi my name is sarah, and I've got the Upgrade Bug!
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last