[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

macro algae

Bookmark and Share
    systemfan15 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default macro algae

Ok, The refugium I plan on getting will be here on Feb 1. I'm going to put about 3-inches of sand on the bottom. I'm going to put some LR in and I'm planning on growing macro algae. How exactly do I grow this? And how to you keep it healthy and all that stuff??
    Steve K.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Merely having the macroalgae in the fuge and providing a good light source for them is all it takes for the macros to thrive. They will consume the nitrates in the water column and grow. Many are of the belief that Reverse Day Lighting (RDL) schedules are helpful, when the tank lights go out the fuge lights come one. This can help balance any pH swings from the photo period. The other option is to run the fuge lamps 24x7.

Also grab a scoop or two of livesand from your tank and add it to the new sandbed it he refuge. This will help jump start it for good critters as well.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Does macro algae have roots? Do i put the roots in the substrate if so? Also, can macro algae naturally grow in a tank, or does it need to be purchased?
    Steve K.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Most calupera sp. have a vine like root system, though it doesn't necessarily need to be 'planted' it will grow loose in the waer column. Chaetomorpha (aka chaeto) does not, it closely resembles a big green brillo pad. Chaeto is generally prefferred by most as it is for the most part as it grows rapidly but doesn't have tendancies to go 'sexual' and release a bunch of crud into the water column. But all feed on nitrates. Both need to be routinely pruned as it grows.

All you really need is a handful to get you started... either pruchased from an LFS, or from another reefer, most folks happily give it away as they prune unless they use it as a food source for tangs and the like.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

I just sold a bunch of cheato for $10 a bag. That covered my shipping costs and the costs for heat pads to put in the box. If you're interested, I could do the same for you.

Eric
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

Ok, I'll buy some off of you. How do you want to go about payments? I dont have pay pal or anything like that....would you accept check or cash?
    Steve K.