[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Major refugium issues.

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Major refugium issues.

I've been having cyno issues for quit some time in my fuge. Not a real biggy until now as I'm trying to maintain a decent pod population and my cheato won't grow.
    I messed it up a long time ago by adding a heavy dose of salt trying to raise my salinity. Stupid move I know. Wound up killing everything off. Anyways....it hasn't been right since.
    Today I took my intake pump off to clean it, fuge had no flow for a couple of hours at the most. Scraped some cyno off the fuge walls too. Well just now 2:30am I take a look see and all the cyno is dead, along with a bunch of amphipods and very inactive bristle worms. WTH?
    Question is...do I tear it down, completely clean it out and add new sand and LR/cheato. Something just isn't right with it. I'm afraid it's going to start affecting my DT.

I do have a lil canister filter hooked up an running some carbon in the DT/ChemiPure elite, just in case.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Were your lights on when you looked at 2:00 am?

The reason I ask is that cyano tends to recede when the lights are off.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Only the fuge light was on. 18w cf.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I agree with Chris... bristleworms are pretty hardy. Cyano being gone is good... Cyano in the fuge isn't a major problem.

Gutting your fuge is taking a chance on upsetting the entire system.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Besides what all you are saying...Tearing it down sounds like to much work

Jimbob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

A few questions which might also help or be useful for consideration:

1. What kind of substrate (if any) do you have in your fuge?
    2. If you do have a substrate of some kind, how deep is it?
    3. If you have a substrate in the fuge and it is >1/2" deep but <4+" deep, do you have any fuge critters such as snails or crabs, or ??? to help stir and clean that substrate bed naturally?
    4. What is the flow through your fuge normally?
    5. Do you regularly suck out the detritus and other accumulation of gunk from the non-substrate areas of the fuge?
    6. How old and what kind of 18W CF bulb are you using to light your fuge?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

3.6g HOB CPR Aquafuge. Mj400 106gph intake pump. 2" pink aragonite substrate. 18w cf 2 months old. No critters except for bristle worms/amphipods/copepods.

I've not touched it in any way as far as cleaning it out. But I really need to do it. It's just that's its so small that it would empty out in a minute via siphoning

Jimbob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    3.6g HOB CPR Aquafuge. Mj400 106gph intake pump. 2" pink aragonite substrate. 18w cf 2 months old. No critters except for bristle worms/amphipods/copepods.

I've not touched it in any way as far as cleaning it out. But I really need to do it. It's just that's its so small that it would empty out in a minute via siphoning
    A quick note on siphoning of small areas like this... a turkey baster is your friend, they can siphon a small area.

So... is it just the bulb that's two months old, or is it the entire HOB fuge that's only two months old? If the whole fuge is only two months old, I would propose to just leave it be, siphon out as much of the cyano as possible, and try to give it another month or two. If the fuge is older, and just the bulb is newer, then the below could be considered as you wish.

First would be to remove the 2" of pink aragonite substrate and either leave that area empty and have just the chaeto in there, or replace it with only 1/2" of substrate, or at least a 4" deep bed with some extra critters. Cyano thrive in two types of environments in particular:

• Environments with a great deal of freely available PO4 / Phosphates, and
    • anoxic environments in where freel available nitrogen is very depleted

With the 2" substrate bed you have in there, it is very possible that the entire bed in the fuge has become an anoxic zone, especially with the low flow through the fuge. With a shallower bed of 1/2", it will not be anoxic, rather, it will always be aerobic and less conducive to the growth of cyanobacteria. Conversely, with a 4+" substrate bed in the fuge, the bottom several inches of the bed will become anoxic but there will be a better opportunity for the top 1/2" or so to maintain some aerobic activity, helping reduce a cyano-conducive environment. With the deeper bed, it would also be a good idea to add 2~4 nassarius snails or other sort of natural substrate sifter.

Other things to consider in general include:

PO4 levels... these can be brought down by feeding less or changing what you are feeding or skimming more heavily, slightly wetter than normal.

If that 18W CF bulb is a standard 10,000K bulb or similar, that's probably fine but if it is a generic cool white or warm white bulb from Home Depot, etc. the spectrum of the light probably isn't helping any.

The inlet compartment and outlet compartment of the fuge... detritus can build up in those areas. As detritus breaks down, it can become a source of PO4. It is a good idea to siphon those areas out every water change.

Hope some of this helps... at least maybe it can spark some thought for consideration.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

The fuge itself is over a year old. The lamp is a Coralife 10k. Would removing the top 1/2" or 1" of the substrate in the fuge cause any issues? Don't want to be releasing anything nasty from underneath.

Part of me feels I should tear it up and start over with it. At least get rid of the substrate and add some new and less of it. My DT is pretty well established.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Ca=440-alk=9.1-mag=1340-no3=.0-no2=.0 and ammonia is .0
    I'm not gonna mess with the fuge-to scared Just bummed out as my chaeto use to grow like crazy. But now it don't grow at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last