[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Making new water.

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Making new water.

Yesterday I made up a batch of new water for a WC-only to find that the heater I use no longer worked-can't pick one up til tomorrow-there is a power head being used. Will the water be ok for 2 days?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

I've let my mixed water sit for weeks without problems. Some people don't like to leave theirs sit more than a week or two, others have left it for months. As long as nothing starts growing in it or dust gets in it, the only issue I've ever seen is it needing to be buffered and pH adjusted before going in the tank.

For 2 days I think you'll be just fine.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Thanks I feel better now

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I leave my water circulating, unheated for a week or so sometimes. No worries.

shovelhead91701 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Shawn

What's a water change????? I do not do water changes myself unless I encounter a problem however i am running a large volume of water in my system and that may be how I can do it this way. The water I make up RODI I use for evaporation losses and I usually top off 2 gallons per day on average. But my makeup water is in a "closet" protected from light unless I am in there with the equipment and have the light on to see, so no algae etc. issues for me but that water is always at least 3 weeks old or so in part cause I don't use it all every time and make new to add to it when it gets down to about 15 gallons on hand. no worries on "OLD" water..... Its "OLD" when we get it anyways....lol
    The days are long and the work is difficult but every night I sleep as a man who has achieved his goals.

fawkes - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

I almost always have at least a small amount mixed. I always mix 24 hrs before using and aerate. We used to see pH problems if we didn't do this, and I have never given the habit up. I try to do small changes over a couple of days, so I don't heat unless the water is considerably colder than the tank and i will be doing a a significant change. Sometimes it sits for a couple of weeks with an airstone moving it. I just make sure it isn't cloudy and that the salinity is where you need it. I cover the bucket to keep out dust and other debris.

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

No worries, I never actually empty my mixing barrel. And if it sits for 3wk so be it. Actually I think it's BEST to let it sit with a power head for at least 24hr, preferably 48hr, it gives the ph of the water a chance to hit equalibrium (sp) with your ambient co2 levels.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

I don't use an airstone, should I with the powerhead?

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

I don't either (use and airstone), personally it's no issue IMO. Just mix it at least 24hr before you need it and don't worry too much if you have to mix it and use it 2hrs later. Unless your doing 50% or something crazy adding 15% of water that is a "little" off on p.h. really isn't a big deal.

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

I let mine sit in a barrel for 3-4 weeks, I have the heater/powerhead/airstone in it all the time, but not plugged in. 2 days before I do a water change I turn it all on. The airstone just increases the dissolved O2 (a little bit), helps gas off any CO2 that might be in the water, and helps to regulate the pH by getting surface agitation going. It's not a necessity, but it cost me about $15 for the air pump, tubing, and airstones, so I figure why risk it for something so cheap.