[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Mature tank discussion

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Default Mature tank discussion

This is a thread to discuss the joys, trials and tribulations of owning and operating a mature reef tank. For the sake of this discussion lets define "mature" as tanks that have been running for at least ten years. I want to make it clear that everyone's input is welcome whether your tank is 20 years or 20 minutes old. I'm hoping this thread can be a place to share experiences and give tips to fellow old-tank owners. Also, I think it would be nice for people to introduce their tank (or supply a link to their tank thread) in their first post.

So, I'll get things started...

Tank: 50 breeder w/20 long refugium
    Style: Mixed reef
    Lighting: T5HO (117 watts)
    Filtration: EuroReef skimmer and passive GAC

The first issue I'd like to talk about is: decrease in biodiversity over time and what to do about it.

Over time I've had many of the small organisms (mysid shrimp, free-swimming copepods and other hitchhikers) disappear from my system. I feel many of these organisms are important components to a reef system (yet my tank appears to be doing fine w/o them). I'd like to reintroduce them to my system... I'm just not sure of the best way to go about it. Buying them in a bottle seems wrong, yet adding live sand or rock with the hope that you get some without getting aiptasia or another pest seems risky. So I'm wondering if others have experienced this, and if so what did you do about it.

Tom

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

I guess my first question is why would buying them in a bottle be wrong??

In essence everything we buy for our tank is in a metaphorical bottle.

LR, LS, frags, fish, inverts, we add them all to accomplish a task. Why is this any different?
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

I would think you need to start with the question of why they die off. If the tank is healthy (which in your case it obviously is) the cryptic creatures should multiply and flourish. Why have they faded? if you are running a refugium they should continue to multiply. One good and relatively safe way to reintroduce critters such as pods would be to purchase or aquire a ball of chaeto from another tank with a thriving refugium. I don't think most of the bottled stuff will live long or propagate in your system.

To this I must say there are reputable places to buy pods, I can personally attest to the products sold by oceanpods.com. I have purchased them and they multiplied in CRAZY numbers, so much in fact that I kept a mandarin happy in a 10 gallon. I kept a culture in a seperate tank and I would honestly say that the number of pods in the 5 gallon culture tank doubled every 3-4 days after they got established. So they can be bought and CAN multiply in amazing numbers.

Plus OP.com had some of THE BEST online customer service I have ever seen. I ordered my shipment in the dead of winter, and there appeared to be some die off of the pods (got a bit cold cause the stupid delivery boy put them by the garage instead of the door) I called them and a few days later an extra bottle majicly appeared on my door step, and it wasn't their fault, I also never asked for the extra bottle as it wasn't the companies fault.

So I would not be quick to dismiss this option, as I will be adding a bottle or two to every tank I put up in the future.

Thats good info JoJo. I was referring more to the over the counter stuff found in alot of LFS in this area. Not sure of the brand. Reef Nutrition maybe?
    In any case a ball of chaeto will likely get you goin Tom but an order from a culture house wouldn't be a bad idea as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo22 View Post
    To this I must say there are reputable places to buy pods, I can personally attest to the products sold by oceanpods.com. I have purchased them and they multiplied in CRAZY numbers, so much in fact that I kept a mandarin happy in a 10 gallon. I kept a culture in a seperate tank and I would honestly say that the number of pods in the 5 gallon culture tank doubled every 3-4 days after they got established. So they can be bought and CAN multiply in amazing numbers.

Plus OP.com had some of THE BEST online customer service I have ever seen. I ordered my shipment in the dead of winter, and there appeared to be some die off of the pods (got a bit cold cause the stupid delivery boy put them by the garage instead of the door) I called them and a few days later an extra bottle majicly appeared on my door step, and it wasn't their fault, I also never asked for the extra bottle as it wasn't the companies fault.

So I would not be quick to dismiss this option, as I will be adding a bottle or two to every tank I put up in the future.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by jojo22 View Post
    I guess my first question is why would buying them in a bottle be wrong??

In essence everything we buy for our tank is in a metaphorical bottle.

LR, LS, frags, fish, inverts, we add them all to accomplish a task. Why is this any different?
    Good point. Everything we buy is essentially in a "bottle". I just don't feel like $20 for small bottle with a few copepods (Tigger Pods) is how I want to spend my limited reef budget. If there are other, more reasonably priced, options I'd be more amenable to this method.

Yeah, I wasn't even thinking about the stuff at the LFS, it is usually CRAP, the problem with the OTC stuff is the lack of gas exchange, so by the time you buy it the culture is dead. I totally agree with that.

Cheato is a time tested and proven way to introduce pods, but can also overgrow and must be pruned (which isn't really a big deal at all) if you want it to grow crazy so you can share with others try a 65K light bulb in one of those aluminum spot lights like they use on reptiles, You will have pods galore after a little bit.

If your running a fuge Tom I would just aquire some chaeto from a friend of LFS. I was looking at the site JoJo mentioned. $75 for some bugs that you can aquire for free is a little rediculous in my opinion. I would offer you some chaeto but I run probiotics and I don't have any. I am sure a local reefer can hook you up. If you do aquire some bug filled chaeto you can cultivate them in a tupperware with very little effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    Good point. Everything we buy is essentially in a "bottle". I just don't feel like $20 for small bottle with a few copepods (Tigger Pods) is how I want to spend my limited reef budget. If there are other, more reasonably priced, options I'd be more amenable to this method.
    I can tell you you will get more than a few pods from Ocean pods, there are HUNDREDS in every bottle (I would venture to say even thousands if you count the little immature ones that are still growing). I would honestly say it would be your best bet. The lady that runs that company is actually a "copeopodoligist" (SP) all she does for a living is study pods, the culture business is a side gig for her, but they are strong and healthy, varying in age from ready to breed all the way to just born in the bottle.

What size is your tank? Also would setting up a culture tank and putting half the bottle in there to multiply be a viable option to you, I think I set mine up for like 12 dollars.

http://www.oceanpods.com/index.html

They may be pricy but the quality assures you are getting only pods, and no other little hitchikers.

Quote Originally Posted by schminksbro View Post
    If your running a fuge Tom I would just aquire some chaeto from a friend of LFS. I was looking at the site JoJo mentioned. $75 for some bugs that you can aquire for free is a little rediculous in my opinion. I would offer you some chaeto but I run probiotics and I don't have any. I am sure a local reefer can hook you up. If you do aquire some bug filled chaeto you can cultivate them in a tupperware with very little effort.

Where did you get $75??

I ordered two bottles and my total bill was under $60 with shipping.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last