[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Using Magnum 350 with phosphate sponge

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Using Magnum 350 with phosphate sponge

I don't have an ro/di unit at the moment. I've noticed a diatom bloom shortly after a water change. I use a single DI filter from aquarium pharmaceuticals. Obviously it's not working very well or doesn't last very long. Anyways I'm wondering if I added my mag350 canister filter to the mixing bucket filled with a phosphate sponge and allowed it to run for 24-48hr would this help eliminate the po4.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

HappyCoral - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Christian

Bag of GFO in your fuge/filter is much better. Than you will be getting PO4 out of the whole system and not just the water change water.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

The velocity in a canister filter is too high and will grind GFO and carbon products to dust.

Until you get an RO/DI Iwould purchase distiled water or RO/DI from a LFS to get a handle on the water quality. The API Tap Water Filter is not very effective for most of us and only lasts between 15 and 30 gallons of water on average so get very expensive very fast.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by AZDesertRat View Post
    The velocity in a canister filter is too high and will grind GFO and carbon products to dust.

Until you get an RO/DI Iwould purchase distiled water or RO/DI from a LFS to get a handle on the water quality. The API Tap Water Filter is not very effective for most of us and only lasts between 15 and 30 gallons of water on average so get very expensive very fast.
    Sadly our 1 and only LFS has nor sells water of any kind. They simply use tap.
    What about bottled water from the grocery store? Purified distilled?

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

Yes distilled from the grocery would be the next best choice with bottled RO only third if it has not been remineralized for taste.

I'm not sure about where you live but in the Southwest we have a Water & Ice type store on every corner it seems like. Most are very good for RO only water and the ones close to me are happy to show you their process and pull out the TDS or conductivity meter to demonstrate how clean their product is once you tell them its for a reef aquarium. Water is $0.25 a gallon and sometimes cheaper with coupons or on special days.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

I'm in the U.P. enough said~lol