[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

The Mechanics of a Saltwater Aquarium - my research paper

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

Default The Mechanics of a Saltwater Aquarium - my research paper

The Mechanics of a Saltwater Aquarium
    Amanda Haynes

I. Introduction
    A. Imagine this
    B. Thesis

II. What You Need
    A. Size Matters
    B. Shopping List

III. Filtration
    A. Biological
    B. Mechanical
    C. Chemical
    D. Protein Skimmer

IV. Live Rock
    A. What is it?
    B. Filtration
    C. Types

V. Cycling
    A. Why?
    B. How?
    C. Cocktail shrimp method

VI. Chores
    A. Yes, chores
    B. Daily
    C. Weekly
    D. Biweekly
    E. Monthly
    F. Quarterly
    G. Set in stone

VII. Conclusion
    A. Restating thesis

Imagine this, you come home from a hard day at work to enjoy you favorite hobby. You watch as living coral sway though the water. The rocks burst with colors of red and purple of the coralline algae. A pair of Clown fish swim about their host anemone, their orange and white bodies wiggling though the tentacles. On the rock work below a Mandarin pounces on tiny "pods" eating them up. His body is green with brightly colored spots, his head reminiscent of a dragon. Then there is a flash of purple and yellow as a Royal Gramma swims right by you. A school of three Cardinal fish take his place. These fish resemble the leftovers of three fish smashed together. Near you a Yellow Tang hovers, greeting you for his treat. Everything is alive, even the sand is crawling. No you do not live on the coast of Fiji or have a breathing apparatus strapped to your back. You need not drive to a public aquarium, for this is in your living room. Your very own Saltwater Aquarium.
    2k1f8587ddfa - The Mechanics of a Saltwater Aquarium - my research paper

One hundred eighty gallon reef (Courtesy of Dave and Angel of CaptiveReefing)

There are so many aspects of rearing a saltwater aquarium that no one knows all the secrets. It is one of the many reasons people are attracted to the hobby, the fact that you will never be an expert. Nevertheless, there are a few basic principles everyone needs to know before they dive into this hobby. I will cover the mechanics of a saltwater aquarium. This will include ideas like how to start up, filtration, live rock, cycling, and a basic mechanical chore list. Best of all it is written by a beginner for other beginners.

There are two types of Saltwater Aquariums according to size, regular and Nano (twenty gallons or under). It is recommended for your first to go as large as you can afford in space and money. The larger amount of water allows you to get away with more mistakes than a smaller aquarium would. (CaptiveReefing, Doctors Foster&Smith)

2k9c40506eda - The Mechanics of a Saltwater Aquarium - my research paper

Twelve gallon Nano (Courtesy of Tracy of CaptiveReefing)

The shopping list for a Saltwater Aquarium can be a little scary but remember you can always buy it little by little until you have it all. The first thing you should pick up is a book, if you have time buy two, better yet buy three, because knowledge is the most important factor in this hobby. The next thing you need to buy is the aquarium and the stand (if needed), a full-hood with light, a filter system, power head, heater, thermometer, substrate (gravel, crushed coral, sand, etc), tap water conditioner, hydrometer, and sea salt. (Wickham 47) Most beginners have good luck buying a freshwater starter kit (which contains tank, full-hood with light, filter, heater, thermometer, and tap water conditioner) then upgrading as needed or as money allows. Now you need to buy a gravel vacuum, pH, ammonia, nitrite test kits, and your protein skimmer. If you have a little extra money you many want to purchase a fish net and fish food for the future. (Wickham 47) All you have left to buy now is the live rock. Though there are a few other things you need to find. You will definitely need a few five gallon buckets with lids, these are for storing and handling saltwater, a plastic container like a garbage can that will hold anywhere from thirty to fifty gallons, for mixing and storing saltwater, and you will also need about six feet of clear vinyl hose to use as a siphon (your gravel vacuum will work great for this). (Tullock 14-15) You will also get your first experience with a Nano tank while setting up your show tank. This will be your quarantine tank (a place to put sick or injured fish or new arrivals). A small tank of five to twenty gallons will work but many have found a cheap ten gallon works best. (CaptiveReefing)

There are three types of filtration biological, mechanical, and chemical. Biological is the process of making nitrogen compounds less harmful. This is though a process called the Nitrogen Cycle and contains three steps:

[Step One:] Nitrogsomones bacteria utilize ammonia as their energy source and transforms ammonia into less toxic compound called nitrite. [Step Two:] Nitrite is then utilized by nitrobacteria, which transforms it to less toxic nitrate. [Step Three:] This process goes further though a denitrification phase in which nitrate can be chemically converted to few nitrogen or niterous oxide." (Blasiola 11).

All filters have a place for bacteria to colonize but ones with a larger surface area are more efficient. Also if you use disposable media you lose a good part of the helpful bacteria. The new filter must then be recolonized to work the best. (Wickham 52)

The next type of filtration is Mechanical Filtration. This form removes particulate matter from the water. This is "

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

Amanda, great job, you had better get an A on that
    fulltankshot 1 - The Mechanics of a Saltwater Aquarium - my research paper

Mizu - Reefkeeper CR Member

Are you in high school? What grade?
    My teacher tells me to watch out for the word "you" in research essays. However, they also ban the words: that, is, to be (all forms including was, will be). It's really rather ridiculous. I strongly dislike my English teacher for her views on what makes a good essay. I like your essay a lot.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

A+

Very well written and obviously well researched!

Now that you are a 'published' author, remember us little guys when you turn your first million bucks

Thanks for sharing your work.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

First Name
    Manda Wolf

Thanks guys! I'll let you know what grade I got when I get it back. It is 1 of my 2 SR research papers (high school) so I will add the part on fish when I get it done. I was allowed to use 'you' in the paper because neither myself or the teacher could figure out how to get rid of it. I hope it will be able to help someone!!!!
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

great work,i hope you get an A,while i was reading the part on the biological cycle,i noticed you used a different name for the bacteria that are respnsible for that process.Nitrosonomas and nitrobacter are what i had thought they were called.Of course,that was many yrs ago,so the names might have changed.I think you did a wonderful job BTW.

flame - Reefkeeper Registered User

Vey nice job. Well researched and nice layout.
    It is our responsibilities, not ourselves, that we should take seriously.

Very nice - you should be proud of yourself! :D

carpenterwrasse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    George

great work sure wish i was that interested in my highschool years
    check this girl out she is a great singer

http://myspace.com/nicolejamesmusic

First Name
    Manda Wolf

Dakar, can you please fix my post????
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last