[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Coral Down Time?

Bookmark and Share
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Coral Down Time?

While using the Lunars I've noticed many corals are open for the entire duration that they are on, which is from 8pm til 6am. The lunars shut off for 2hrs before the atenic's kick on then 1hr later the day lights. Which means these corals never close for more the 2hrs a day.

What I'm wondering is, is this harmful for these corals? What if any effect do Lunar's have on corals? Do the corals need down time?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Good question......

I would guess the would apreciate a little bit, like 3-4 hours of close to complete darkness- but not sure if there are benefits or a necesity.

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

From my understanding is that the lunars don't creat any par for them so it's not like they are benifiting from being open. I'm not sure though, but I have had my T5's with Lunars on from 10pm-6am since Jan and I have had a lot of growth. Typically a lot of my zoos stay open but had an explosion of growth, so they must be getting some rest. I did have my bam bams close for almost 2 weeks and then they had quite a few polyps on them. So maybe they closed to save their energy for the babies?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Then it would benefit them to close. As far as growth goes. Lunars being for visual purpose only.

I've also noticed a difference in the polyp extension on my Turaki Acro when it comes to the amount of light. Day time=none-lunars=very little and black out every polyp is fully extended. Interesting for sure

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I guess it would depend on the lights you are using for Lunars. I have read some threads where people have PAR tested blue LEDs and they were putting out nearly as much PAR as the white ones. In that case I think having them on all night wouldn't be a good idea.

I definitely think it is a good idea to have complete darkness for at least a few hours.

I wonder how much PAR actual moon provides on the reef? Anyone know?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Synergy View Post
    I guess it would depend on the lights you are using for Lunars. I have read some threads where people have PAR tested blue LEDs and they were putting out nearly as much PAR as the white ones. In that case I think having them on all night wouldn't be a good idea.

I definitely think it is a good idea to have complete darkness for at least a few hours.

I wonder how much PAR actual moon provides on the reef? Anyone know?
    Yeah, I didn't even think of that. I have 4x lunars. Not sure of the watt though. Maybe a good question for Evil. I'll post the question to him