[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Mixed Reef Tanks?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Mixed Reef Tanks?

Just want to know how many out here besides me are keeping a mixed reef system? By mixed I mean, lps/sps/zoa's and softies.

I've read good and bad about being able to have a happy healthy tank filled with mixed corals. What do you all think?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

I have a mixed reef. I push for very clean water and so far everything is doing well. I have 180 gallons in my system total. In a smaller tank like yours I am interested to hear about "mixed" reefs being to successful. Seems like it would be a lot harder in less water. Since everything can change so quickly in a nano it is harder to keep it stable. Stability is most likely the keep to keeping a "mixed reef".

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I've run a mixed reef for many years. For me it is been difficult to keep all coral types happy at the same time. Sometimes the softies are rocking while the SPS are so-so, other times the opposite, and still other time everyone is happy.

Tom

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I am also running a mixed reef- zoa/paly dominated, with a few choice sps and lps pieces. So far, other than a few small hitchikers, no softies/leathers.

CR Member
    First Name
    jim

yeah ...me by accident.....i better get it together. lol

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Great job Jamie. We had a mixed reef prior to the crash.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

CR Member
    First Name
    Shane

I also have a mixed reef tank 85 Display and i have the same results as tom seems different species are happy at different times.

vega15 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Anthony
    Awards Tank of the Month

Default My Mixed Reef...

I have had mine for about 5-6 years now. I have noticed that as it grows in the difficulties increase. Water condition is a struggle for sure. It has good days and bad days but sometimes I just have to remind myself that no reef is perfect and that I am fortunate to have what I do. I often chalk it up to "Life and death on the Reef"

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Ok Vega15 you mentioned: *I have noticed that as it grows in the difficulties increase.* can you possibly share some of the difficulties that you've encountered?
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

vega15 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Anthony
    Awards Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Ok Vega15 you mentioned: *I have noticed that as it grows in the difficulties increase.* can you possibly share some of the difficulties that you've encountered?
    I have an issue maintaining my KH and Calc. Even though I am dosing via Kalkwasser I still have to dose Buffer from time to time. For some reason my system hovers around 7-8 KH. Not a real issue but I would like to see it closer to the 8-9 range.

As mentioned by others, it seams that once I get my softies happy then my SPS takes a hit and visa versa.

Now I do have a well established "Grown In" looking Reef so I often wonder as the corals get closer together what kind of chemical exchanges are happening? I have upped my usage of Carbon to aid in the removal of toxins but I am beginning to wonder if I am slowly falling behind I currently am using 2 cups of Lignite Aquarium Carbon (BRS) in a 200 gallon system and I change it out every 2 months. Thoughts on using more or changing it out more often?

Anyone have any thoughts about our softie/leathers chemically fighting for space? How are you going about countering this....Carbon, water changes, etc....

Great thread!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last