[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

More questions.... I hate to keep bugging everyone! LOL

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    Iconz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default More questions.... I hate to keep bugging everyone! LOL

I had posted this in my project thread, but I decided that I didn't wanna clutter that one up, so I'll repost it here... I should have an update for everyone later tonight for my "nanotime" thread... But, for now, I just have questions!!! Thanks ahead of time for answering! And, sorry for the length!

Equipment:

- Titanium heaters.... Are they a must?
    - Circulation in a fuge... what do you all reccommend? (it will be about 7 gallons - 12x11.5x12)
    - ATO resivoir placement... Is there any issues with it being above the sump? (I'm going to have an aqualifter attached to a dual float switch)
    - Does anyone know how deep of water the Coralife 65gal superskimmer operates best in?
    - PVC connections to pumps... What is the best way to do it?
    - Overflow drain pipes... Is there an issue with putting T's or 90 degree Elbows on these? (I don't have access to flex pvc.)
    - New equipment (PH's, pumps, heaters, Skimmers, etc...) what's the best way to break these in, and should you clean them before you start using them in "production" in your tank (if so, how?)....?
    - When doing a full-blown wet test of the whole system, is RO water nessicary or reccommended?

Live Stock:

- I plan on having a DSB of 3-4" in my fuge, should I put any type of clean-up crew in the fuge as well?
    - When should I introduce the clean-up crew?
    - At what point should I add in cheato to my fuge? (before cycle, after, during?)

LRock, Sand

- I've got some carib sea sugar-fine dry sand coming, do I need to wash this stuff before putting it into the tank?
    - If the LR I buy is cured, is there any need to wash it before I put it in my tank?

Filtration

- Carbon - Would it be good to drop the bags of it in my aquaclear 70 that I can attatch to my sump instead of just putting it directly into my sump. This way, I can maintain the flow going through it more easily.

BTW... I've been told by several people now that carbon really loses its effectiveness after 24-48 hours. And, after that, its basically a bacteria farm.

- Should I run a mechanical filter of some sorts during the cycle process?
    __________________________________________________ _____________

I think this is it for now! LOL.. Thanks again for taking the time!

-JD

hummer - Reefkeeper CR Member

jd i like all you qustions im going to sit back read and try to learn and remember it all ... lol
    :: hummer :nemo

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Equipment:

I think so if your glass one breaks you fish will have a shocking experience.

- Circulation in a fuge... what do you all reccommend? (it will be about 7 gallons - 12x11.5x12)

I would say about 10 times per hour but there are many opinions on this point.

- ATO resivoir placement... Is there any issues with it being above the sump? (I'm going to have an aqualifter attached to a dual float switch)

Don't see any
    - Does anyone know how deep of water the Coralife 65gal superskimmer operates best in?

Hope someone else answers this one for you

I like quick disconect union joints
    - Overflow drain pipes... Is there an issue with putting T's or 90 degree Elbows on these? (I don't have access to flex pvc.)

try to use 45's instead of 90's even if there are more of them you will have less friction, also only use what is needed the more fittings the more friction loss

- New equipment (PH's, pumps, heaters, Skimmers, etc...) what's the best way to break these in, and should you clean them before you start using them in "production" in your tank (if so, how?)....?

I have always just rinsed in freshwater but I could be doing it wrong.

- When doing a full-blown wet test of the whole system, is RO water nessicary or reccommended?

tap water should be fine.

Live Stock:

- I plan on having a DSB of 3-4" in my fuge, should I put any type of clean-up crew in the fuge as well?

I would do maby some snails and a crab or two

when you start to see a need for one. don't waste money on a "pre selected" crew, build one according to your nneds as they arise

- At what point should I add in cheato to my fuge? (before cycle, after, during?)

I would go a few weeks after.

LRock, Sand

- I've got some carib sea sugar-fine dry sand coming, do I need to wash this stuff before putting it into the tank?

yes rinse it very well, if you don't you will have a major sand storm ( I learned the hard way)

- If the LR I buy is cured, is there any need to wash it before I put it in my tank?

nope

Filtration

- Carbon - Would it be good to drop the bags of it in my aquaclear 70 that I can attatch to my sump instead of just putting it directly into my sump. This way, I can maintain the flow going through it more easily.

Nice idea

BTW... I've been told by several people now that carbon really loses its effectiveness after 24-48 hours. And, after that, its basically a bacteria farm.

It would only cost money, the cycle will run its course without it
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

Thanks for the reply Joe!

Me - Circulation in a fuge... what do you all reccommend? (it will be about 7 gallons - 12x11.5x12)

Joe -I would say about 10 times per hour but there are many opinions on this point.

Me - So, there's no need for a PH in the fuge or anything?
    __________________________________________________ ____

Me - ATO resivoir placement... Is there any issues with it being above the sump? (I'm going to have an aqualifter attached to a dual float switch)

Joe - Don't see any

Me - So there isn't a risk for a siphon from the resivoir to the tank? If not.. that's sweet!

Me- nope no need for a PH in the fuge

Me- not if you are useing a pump instead of gravity

ME! - Sweet, thx again joe!

No problem buddy!!!

hummer - Reefkeeper CR Member

me.. lol
    :: hummer :nemo

I've got some carib sea sugar-fine dry sand coming, do I need to wash this stuff before putting it into the tank?

- Scratch that... they gave me agra-alive sand instead...
    Is there anythign special that I need to do with this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Iconz View Post
    I had posted this in my project thread, but I decided that I didn't wanna clutter that one up, so I'll repost it here... I should have an update for everyone later tonight for my "nanotime" thread... But, for now, I just have questions!!! Thanks ahead of time for answering! And, sorry for the length!

Equipment:

a) Not sure on heaters never used them, my lights are hot enough =P
    b) I have the 65gallon and it seems to work best in very shallow water, if its to deep it begins to overflow and not cause enough bubbles.
    c)Drain no, but returns will cause a drop in your GPH.
    d) I just gave mine a rinse with some tap water.
    e) I had alot of salt water so I just did it with that.

LRock, Sand

__________________________________________________ _____________
    a) I still have not used Carbon to this day, but my gf aquarium has, and the water clarity is extremely clear.
    b) I ran a fine filter to clean out all the tiny sand I had and afterwards removed it.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last