[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

My Circ Isopod experience...

Bookmark and Share
    CableGuy - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Adam

Wink My Circ Isopod experience...

So about two weeks ago I woke up and while eating my breakfast I was watching my tank. In pure shock and awe I see something attached to my Fire angle.

I then quickly grabed a net and try to catch the fish to pull the little sucker off but after about 10-15 mins of frustration and not being able to catch him I gave up and went to work. I was able to see a small part of his fan that was now missing.

When I got home the Isopod was MIA.

So fast forward to last weekend when I am up early doing yard work. I come inside to take a break and what do I see again. This same thing attached to his fin again, yet this time a lot more of his fin is missing. To say the least I was ****ed. So I turned the light on and with in 5 mins it jettisoned.

Right then I knew that I had to setup a tank just for my live rock because if he was in the live rock that was in an isolated tank he would die from not having food. If he was still in the sand, he would come back out but this time there was no live rock for the fish to hide behind and I would be able to catch the fish he was attached to.

So I started to build a new stand on Monday and I am almost done with it now, so I was still impartital to this little bugger coming out, I just knew I wanted him dead and to hopefully NOT lay any eggs.

So I wake up early this morning to get ready for a summer class I am taking before work and just peek into my tank and to my plesant surprise he was swimming along the glass. So I quickly fumbled to get a net and carefully reach in there and net him.... I DID IT!!!

Here are some pics of the little bugger.

Im still not sure if he came in from some snails I got from someone or if he was an egg on the live rock I got out of the ocean.

The first pic with the net is right when I got him. He was still alive and wouldnt come off of the net.

The other pics is how far he made it from the time I left for work until I got home. He is now dead and in a test tube.

Hope you guys enjoyed this and it might help a little.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

streetrodder007 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill

Very good posting- I liked the pics.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Man that is awesome, really happy for you that you were able to snag it so easily this time. Way to go. Only thing left to do now it set up a frag tank with the stand you've got going.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Burn that little bugger!! Better safe than sorry!!

First Name
    Adam

So I was doing some work in the tank last night and flipped a piece of coral over and this weird looking thing was on it so I was staring at it and it goes swimming off... This guy was huge and had MASSIVE black eyes... I think this was the one I saw last time attached to my fish.

He went off swimming and went into some sand. So I grabbed my net and jammed it in the sand and picked up a whole net full of sand and slowly sifted it back and forth hoping that I snagged him...

Sure enough I did!!! I'll have to take a pic of this guy, he is 3-4x bigger than the other one. I just hope I dont have a tank full of these things..

I also did some reading and read that Florida rock has these little buggers in them and sure enough this is Florida rock so that explains it.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Isopods are a bad thing I take it??
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Isopods are a bad thing I take it??
    They are blood sucking parasites, and will kill your fish.