[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

My live rock has bugs in it?

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    jstan - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason

I second it not being a bobbit worm, looked more like a peanut worm to me ....

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by bluwc View Post
    But if you pay (especially from a store at probably $600) or $200-$300 for rock from a reefer, that is a lot of money to just throw away. I guess it's good that some people are in a position to toss out hundreds of dollars for no reason....but I don't know anyone else who would.

I've said this numerous times.....if someone is concerned with what is "live" on/in the rock and didn't want to risk it in their tanks......why wouldn't you bake it in the oven at 400 degrees for a couple of hours. It's faster than baking it in the sun for days and your end result is the same.....dead rock. If you can kill whatever is in it.....make it live again after numerous weeks, wouldn't that make more sense than just throwing it away?
    As afraid of creepy crawlies as I am I would throw it away..lol..or at least have someone else do the cooking
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    As afraid of creepy crawlies as I am I would throw it away..lol..or at least have someone else do the cooking
    Well if you want to get technical, that nasty worm could be considered a delicacy in some countries. Who knows what those people eat.....but I hear they eat some strange stuff and you might be able to sell it? lol

Pat-O - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Patrick

I saw the worm or should I say worms in my tank again i noticed what seemed to be one larger one and a couple smaller ones. They were a brownish color.Very similar looking to centipedes. Just trying to verify that this is a normal thing while my tank is still cycling. I would take a pic but they were pretty small and I dont think the pic would show them well enough.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Pat my tank is know for it's bristle worm populations. You can't really see the true color due to the blue lighting but...they are on the light brownish side in the center of their bodies with white bristles on the outer part. You cannot tell head from tail aside from the way they move.

[ame=http://youtu.be/43qnlVJYYeY]They're back!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

Fish Dad - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

Sorry Pat didnt mean to hog your post,,,, catch that worm and post a pic....

My rock is way to cool to throw out...plus you guys would be diggin in my trash to grab it...

Anyways the earlier pic of the worm I sent didn't look like the first worm that really got me freaked, it looked more bobbitish. It was the only one I could find at 1:00am, guess I bought a nice little worm farm, or had a worm farm I jumped the gun and killed um, any way I'll sleep better knowing that I must have killed something that you guys would have told me in ten months I should recurred all that rock.

I know where to get some worms though if I need um, somebody has alot.....MizTanks - your gonna have to update your profile to include expert worm keeper.

Either way the rock is now back in salt water 3 blue tubs as you can see by the pic 2 buckets wasnt enough. Blue tubs are 16 gallon ($6 at HD, deal).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

First Name
    Patrick

O its cool Im learning too.

Fish Dad - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

Ok I have to show you worm threaders this.,...
    So how is this for nasty.......Pat you are so Jealous HA (NOT)
    Sorry for the photo, it from my cell,,,, my wife took the good camera on a "Girls weekend", left me alone to play with my dead live rock..I'm glad as this tank and rock would never get in the house...o

I found it tonight when I was moving rock around from bucket to bucket..., and guess what it was still moving...

I know the picture isn't great but check out the size.. Makes Miz-tanks worm look like kittens.....

The head on it is at the 1 inch end, looks like pinchers to me, and I didn't touch it, it was big enough to grab with needle nose pliers...
    so do I win a prize or is this normal....

Rock is cooking so much nicer with out this guy....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

OMG!!! YUCK with a capital Y! Now my skins gonna be crawling all weekend-oh geezzz I'd die if I found something like that in my tank, rock, back yard even.

First Name
    Patrick

What is that one?

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last