[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

n00b, Doing pretty well with first tank, lotsa questions

Bookmark and Share

Default n00b, Doing pretty well with first tank, lotsa questions

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Since I seem to be a forum junky for everything else I do, I figured why not join a Reef Keepers Forum #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Well first things first, Tank Specs....Right now its a FO tank, getting my new lights in for the reef build. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#30 Gallon#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#27lbs of LR - amazingly with little lighting, they have signs of Coraline Algae growth#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Nice layer of substrate, I want to say I put in 40lbs of fine sand#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Use Instant Ocean Salt, and no other additives#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Has been running stable for 3 - 4Months, I let it run 1 1/2 Months before even adding inverts. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#HOB Filter, Aq500... spare equipment from my Freshwater tanks#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#AQ Power head, the 30gal, I use this as my aeration device. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#100 watt heater#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Lighti ng:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This week I expect my Power Compact lights to come in, 130W, equipped with two actinic bulbs. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Live Stock:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#3 Turbo Snails, these guys are great#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#8 Blue leg Hermits#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#2 False Percs#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#1 Yellow Watchman Goby#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#1 Coral Beauty#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#1 Hawaiian Feather duster#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Feeding:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I alternate between a flake food, mysis shrimp, and another frozen cube mixture called prime reef (supposed to have a little bit of everything in it) I feed 1 - 2 times a day, and try to keep the diet varied. I also add phytoplankton for the Hawaiian Feather duster.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have never had problems with water quality yet, *knocks on wood*, I tested religously for the first two months and everything seems stable so I do it once a month or so. So far everything is very stable. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#My questions:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#1. Just looking for general suggestions on things I can do to improve my tank. Maybe I have missed out on something. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#2. My false percs love the diet I provide them, but the Coral Beauty and Goby don't seem to always want to eat what I give them, so I am looking for suggestions on how to keep them happy as well. I have done a little more research into the diets of some of these fish, and I plan on adding some Brine, to the mixture. Please give suggestions on improving the diet. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#3. Suggestions on corals/anemones that can be added to the tank, that will be a good fit for what I have so far. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#4. Equipment, what do you think of the items I am using to run my tank? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#5. I don't see my goby much, so I want to add a pistol shrimp to the tank to see if it will make him a litle more active, or seen... anyone see any problems with doing this, given the path I want to head down? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#6. Water. I have been using distilled water in my tank, but am considering switching to RO, because my local fishstore owner says distilled is not the best water for tanks, RO is. Well in my experience fishstores typically are not the best sources of information, sadly. This true? If so I might have to invest in a RO unit. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Sorry for shotgunning this out there.... Im just a sponge trying to soak up as much info as possible... trying to keep my fish happy!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Oh and another thing. I think I have a good sign that my tank is doing relatively well.... a star fish popped up out of nowhere. It's small right now, and disappears for a few days, but then appears on the glass again. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

OK sounds like you got a good start so----

1 I don't see a skimmer in your list ?

2 Be careful with feeding especial if you don't have a skimmer i only feed ever
    other day as much as Thea will eat before it hits the bottom

3 It will be cheaper if you get a RODI water filter for yourself

4 don't get over stocked on fish maybe one more

that is just my 2 cents someone else will have More
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#thanks for the comments. !!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I dont plan on adding anymore fish, just a shrimp for the Goby, moreclean up crew, and maybe a coral, anoemone or two for the percs. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Protein Skimmer is a new one to me... I knew I would need it for hard corals and soft corals, but why in a FO tank? Im going to need one in a few months anyway... so please give some suggestions as to what to look for in a skimmer.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Please keep the suggestions rolling in #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

tigersax7 - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#The answer is simple... the protien skimmer helps to remove organic waste produced by both fish and corals. Though it is not essential if you dont have corals...however with the annomie you maywant one. Just my thoughts. later#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#tigersax7#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    only the finest in gehto reef technology ~

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#With just fish you may be alright if you keep on top of water changes.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But remember fish or whit put the most wast in to your tank#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This is the skimmer id recomend#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#A href="http://www.asmskimmer.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=a09df96478d22c5db318 8ac8d0826bd6"#ed_cl#http://www.asmskimmer.com/catalog/in...op#/DIV#ed_cl#

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#While I do believe in over filtration, with a 30 Gallon tank, dont you think that the G1 will be overkill? Appreciate your input :>#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

#ed_op#P#ed_cl#No such thing with skimmers#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#But you can get along will with a AquaC Remora#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#The reason i like the first is if you upgrade your tank you wont have to#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#upgrade your skimmer#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#Just toke a another look at your tankdescription don't see a sump so the AquaC will be best of#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#P#ed_cl#the too[jmo]#ed_op#/P#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#A sump system worthwhile on a 30 gal? I thought about it, going with a 10 - 20 gal sump system, The tanks are cheap enough, and I have room under my stand. #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#If I went this route it would make it easy to hide a RODI unit, skimmer. Would my HOB filter have to stay on the main tank, or could that be moved as well? #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Got my lights in today..... wow what a difference they make#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

A sump is always worth doing a 20 gal makes a good one you can put a
    skimmer out of site along with everything else.
    You can even Davide it up and have a Refug if you wont

Just the extra water volume is a good thing

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com