[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Need some help Identifying whatever it is in my storage tank!!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    burningbeard - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Need some help Identifying whatever it is in my storage tank!!

Ok so I have a Blue food grade 55 gallon barrel to store my salt water in. I have a power head to keep water moving and a heater to keep it to temp. There seems to be a tannish white chalky film in the bottom and on the sides of the barrel and its coating the power head and heater. I showed it to my friend ( who is responsible for luring me into this hobby) and he has no idea what it is either. I have about 40 gallons of mixed water in this and would hate to lose it all. But I am afraid to use it and general consenses is it needs to be dumped. I am looking for some some direction one way or another. Would like to know what it is and how to avoid it if it is something that is going to cost me 40 gallons of salt water. Thanks in adance for the help!!!

ScottCRRT - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Scott

so I am the friend that suckered him (easily) into saltwater. This stuff lines the entire inside of the container that is in contact with water. It is a whitish/ tannish substance. It doesn't really appear to be an algae. if you wipe it off with your fingers it has a talcum powder feel to it. Should probably get a photo posted Jay.

nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

Any chance it's salt residue?

CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

Take a sample of the film and add a drop of vinegar to your sample. If the solution starts to bubble, then its probably some calcium that is settling out of solution. Some salt mixes have extra amounts of calcium and magnesium, and alkalinity components which stay in solution when carbon dioxide is present. There also can be biofilms which are due to bacteria that colonize the surfaces in sea water containers and this depends on how much nutrient levels are present in your freshly mixed salt. I'm betting on some calcium right now................Jim Z.

ScottCRRT - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Scott

Definitely not a salt residue. I know he is using Reef Crystals, so it does have extra Mag and Calcium added. the calcium thing seems to make sense, but any other opinions are greatly appreciated.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I used to get the same stuff in my bucket of water. Was worried at one time also until I did the vinegar test as suggested a while back. Yes, that's exactly what it is. Calcium settling out of solution as Jim Z (and many others here) stated. I too use Reef Crystals. However since I started using the venturi on my mj1200 while mixing, I'm no longer getting this residue. Either way, no harm ever came to my tank from using the water. Good luck!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Jason

Very cool thanks all , I will try the vinegar test and see what happens then will let everyone know. If thats not it I will throw a photo up and see what we can figure out. And yes I was easily talked into this, it all started with a $15 frag tank.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

What water are you using to mix the salt with? Is it RO?

First Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    What water are you using to mix the salt with? Is it RO?
    Yes It is RO water

First Name
    Jason

I did the vinegar test and it started to bubble so calcium seems to be the winner. So from what I can tell water should be ok to use. I hope. Thanks everyone for the info and helping me solve this, very much appreciated!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last