[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

need your small tank ideas!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default need your small tank ideas!

Ok so i will be moving december 1st and probably selling out of almost everything i have besides maybe a few select pieces of equipment. I will for right now be keeping the frag tank (24x12x7) its about 7.5 gallons so it is shallow and it has a 18 LED fixture over it (12 blue, 6 white, white driven harder) It is on a small 2 drawer end table right now and it is viewed from top down.

I am wondering if i sell out of all my frags and stuff what are some ideas of what i could put in that tank? it will just have a small hang on filter and right now i have a K2 in there but might downgrade to possibly 2 koralia nanos.

I am thinking sandy bottom with little liverock boulders throughout the bottom and maybe just doing an invert type of reef flat with some brittle stars and shrimp and crabs.

another idea was get a n. wennerae mantis shrimp like i have had before and put him in there.

i think the height is too small for most seahorses, i cant really think of any other ideas. i am going to keep with the LEDS for now because i can always add some small frags of things at any time or some cool reef plants to it.

Also, if i did do just inverts and easier coral what would your opinion be on the use of RO/DI? i would only do a gallon or two water change weekly/biweekly but is it really necessary to use RO/DI, i would have to check the tap TDS on the new place first i would assume. i can always feed it with microbacter i just dont want to have to hook up a RO/DI just for a 7 gallon tank. i could always get some off my buddy or go to fish docs and pick some up if its needed.

Give me your thoughts on what you would do with this tank instead of having it as a frag tank! i want to stay somewhat in the hobby for now but until i get it all figured out i figured this small tank should pass the time pretty good.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

another idea is a Maxi-Mini anemone tank, the LEDS will make the colors amazing!! and i could throw some sexy shrimp or anemone shrimp in with them to be their guests! what would your thoughts be on that?

rcombs - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rickie

that sounds like a sweet idea and prolly a one of a kind. what would you call it. i mean there is fowlr. what would this be lol. interested in seeing pics if you decide it.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by rcombs View Post
    that sounds like a sweet idea and prolly a one of a kind. what would you call it. i mean there is fowlr. what would this be lol. interested in seeing pics if you decide it.
    an RFT tank aka reef flats tanks. after re-reading this i think i really like the maxi/mini idea because then i can utilize both the lights and the tank well. LEDs for amazing color and the tank for a good top down view of the anemones. This may be the best route.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

The anemone idea is a good one. I would probably go with a Tridacna theme tank myself. I know the tank is small but a few maximas and croceas would probably be fine.

I would keep using RO/DI water. Whether you set up your own, get some from a friend, or buy it is up to you. But if you skip it you'll likely end up with an algae themed tank.

Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Tom

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    The anemone idea is a good one. I would probably go with a Tridacna theme tank myself. I know the tank is small but a few maximas and croceas would probably be fine.

I would keep using RO/DI water. Whether you set up your own, get some from a friend, or buy it is up to you. But if you skip it you'll likely end up with an algae themed tank.

Looking forward to seeing what you do.

Tom
    clams isnt a bad idea either other than i have a feeling i would have to dose calcium a lot and that really isnt what i want to do, i just want to be able to do water changes and possibly feed 2-3 times per week only just in case there days where i dont have the time or have to stay out all night. i may throw one in there though but i think the anemone idea is the best so far to utalize both light and top viewing.

Sun357 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Fred
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I'd go with the maxi-mini's and sexys. I think that would work out and be awesome.

~Fred

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Love the maxi-mini idea. Though A clam would look great. You'll probably get enough Ca just doing water changes.

Badfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post

Tom
    I would say stick with the RO/DI as well. Why not just make a bulk load and keep it in a container, you can use it for top off and to mix salt. That is what I do, use a Brute trash can, home depot sells them fairly cheap.

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

ro/di for sure, it's cheap enough that you just shouldn't be without it. Clams that are happy eat calc and alk, if your not interested in dealing with those two don't bother with clams, even if wc's deal with it you will still need to watch and test. I wont speak to maxi-mini nems but the BTA's don't really need all that much feeding if you have the appropriate light. I think a maxi-mini tank, perhaps a few ricordia would be a sweet looking tank.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last