[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New and trying to learn!!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Jamesr - Reefkeeper Moderator

Default New and trying to learn!!

Hello all new here trying to read all i can before i even think of getting any talk or fish. The spot im looking to put it a 29 bio-cube ot other cube type would fit good. Just looking to add a like 4 clowns 2 orange&white and 2 black&white and a setup something like this tank it bottom. A few years ago my son was diagnosed leukemia has been going good just wondering if a tank like this is possible with a 29g biocube here is the pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jamesr; 01-09-2011 at 04:17 PM.

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

you can only have 2 clowns in your tank as they will fight if you get more. i reccomend 2 clowns, a firefish, and a goby/pistol combo. and also yes, with th right care you can make your tqank look just like that.

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

As demon says above, only 2 clowns would be recommended.

I don't quite understand what you mean by 2 orange, 7 white and 2 b/w. Are you saying you wanted 2 orange color fish, 7 white fish and 2 b/w fish in addition to the 4 clowns? Or did you mean all of them to be clowns, i.e. 4 percula or occellaris clowns (like Nemo), then 2 more orange, 7 mainly white (like picasso) and 2 b/w occellaris?

In either event, that's going to be way overstocked for such a small tank. You can find all sorts of '# inches per gallon' of fish in a saltwater tank, but they vary, the 'average' tends to be about 1 inch every 5 gallons, but consider that:
    a) You probably will get juvenile or young fish which will grow, so do some research to find out the average maximum length in captivity. So if a clown fish is 2" when you buy it, but will likely be 4" when it's done growing, count it as 4".
    b) Also realize that the bioload of different fish varies. That is to say, 4" of clownfish doesn't equal 4" of trigger fish. If two fish of equal lengths do not eat the same amount, the one that eats more will put a larger stress on the bioload.
    c) You also need to research what fish you want to put in there to make sure that they're not only reef safe (they don't eat corals), but invert safe (they won't eat your shrimp, snails, etc), and safe with other fish including multiples of their own species (as evidenced by the no more than 2 clownfish rule).

Your first step should be to decide what species, whether fish, coral, or invert, is going to be your 'must have'. If you absolutely have to have clownfish, then make that your pivotal species and structure everything around that. If it's a particular coral you have to have, then work around that. Just remember that with Biocubes, if you have the PC lighting (looks like 2 small flourescent tubes side by side) you'll be limited on what you can put in there down the road, things like anemones, clams, and some corals may be hard or impossible to keep.

I think this is a very cool idea to help your son though and I think I speak for everyone here that we'd love to answer anything you need answered to see it happen and make sure it happens properly.

i mean 2 Orange & white

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

o ok good. get any 2 you like as babies and one will turn into a female and one will stay male.

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

Yep, the orange and whites come in a couple varieties, since you're just starting out I recommend going with the cheaper ones (Picasso's are expensive, and if you ever want a heart attack, look up a 'lightning clownfish' on google, man they sold for a ton!).

My two preferred pics for a first fish out of the clownfish family would be:
    Amphiprion Percula
    Amphiprion percula - New and trying to learn!!

Or an Amphiprion Ocellaris, also called the False Percula:
    Amphiprion ocellaris - New and trying to learn!!

Very similar in appearance, pretty easy to care for, etc etc.

I'm assuming this is going to be the 'must have' for the tank and everything else will evolve around it?

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

Do a pair a ocellaris clowns, they are the classic "nemo", "hint" the kid will love them. Plus they are cheaper than percula clowns. And buy them small, again a bit cheaper, and watching them grow the fun part. Do not get maroon clown too big when they grow up and aggressive as ****.

On the tank side keep an eye out for a nice used setup on the selling forums, WAY cheaper than buying new.

If you do clown gobies, you are probably giving up doing any sps, they are usually nippers on sps, but no always. Real cool fish though.

I would also suggest a shrimp goby (there are many kinds) and a pistol shrimp for it to hang with, it's cool to watch the interaction between the two.

Absolutely clown goby's arent the end of the world for sps, and lets face it the op is a long way from ready for sps anyway.

Thanks for all the info but got laid-off on Friday so will have to wait.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last