[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New here, advise on my setup plans

Bookmark and Share

Default New here, advise on my setup plans

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I am planning a 55 gallon reef tank, I just setup a regular 30 gallon fowlr tank but I wanna take the next step keeping in mind that I'm not going to set this up right away since I just started my 30 gallon tank but this is what I'm planing for it right now:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Tank: 55 gallon(not drilled)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Lighting: 4x65watt coral light #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Filteration: 30 Gallon longSump(drilled) eventually being turned into a refugium#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Fish: unkown (still researching but suggestions are always taken)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Coral: researching this for the lighting that I'll have#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#heating: 300watt heater (not sure what yet)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm thinking I have most of my base that I need if I missed out on anything please tell me the biggest thing I'm worried about is what kind of protien skimmer I should get I was looking at the remora but I've been seening different views on that one from people. Any suggestions on that? as for the sump I'm going to set it up so that I have room to setup a refugium on it, and have the cabinent open and hopefullyhave it as much of an attraction to look at as the main tank #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#This tank is going to be setup in my bedroom but I do want it so that I have a lot of color to stare at, my bedroom is really a tank room lol, so I was thinking maybe some flame angels but I'm kinda hesitant to do this :O#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    I like da fish

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

It seems you've been answering all of your own questions... obviously, you're going to be intent with softies, shrooms, and some LPS due to your lighting. If not, and you intend on some SPS just add dual 175 watt 10k halides and run your pc's as actinic suppliments. On the refugium, make sure you use RDL(reverse daylight). I recommend, at least, 55 to 80 lbs of LR if you go with a shallow or barebottom Sandbed, but if you're to chose to use one 4" or deeper in the display or refugium, drop that suggested amout to 30-50 lbs(for natural denitrification). As for a skimmer... I am a total believer in the ASM G series. Your system would do very well with a G1X-G1... goto www.asmskimmer.com for more info and THE best prices I've ever seen. As for fish, worry about the set up first(BTW, angels are extremely species aggressive... only one per tank). Good luck and welcome to Captive Reefing!!!

Jason
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#ah hokies, I'll keep that in mind, I wanted some really colorful fish but i will prob. end up getting fish that fit the surroundings of the tank and what ever goes in (invertabrea wise) like I said I'm not setting it up for another month or so I need to find someone who I can give my fw angel to before I setup the 55 #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    I like da fish

klasikb - Reefkeeper CR Member

I don't think it will be a problem to find colorful fish, there are many to chose from. ( too many ) Also their are less colorful fish that have tons of personality and really add enjoyment to the tank. As for the skimmer, I would suggest getting one over sized for your tank. When it comes time to upgrade the 55, that will be one less thing you wll have to upgrade. Good luck!
    Just a girl trying to create a little bit of paradise on earth without killing it.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

If you havn't already purchased your PC lighting fixture,I would recommend using other flourescents instead.T5's and VHO's come to mind,both of which can be fired by an IceCap ballast,you can even combine them(T5/VHO)to get the best spectrum that each kind of bulb has.With a 4 bulb system,you will have enough light for just about all corals except some SPS that require lots of intensity/PAR.I use the same lighting and have found many Acropora(SPS) that thrive under T5/VHO's.
    I've used PC's in the past and my biggest complaint is that bulbs rarely last longer than 9 months.They can be made alot more effective with a parabolic reflector and the daylight bulbs are really bright housed in them.Check out AHsupply.com for there PC reflectors.

ah hokies yeah on my 30 i have the 4x65 florescent reef lights on it right now so I'm hoping thats enough for it but for the 55 I saw a 48" double that was pretty nice I think it was something like 110 for each bulb? not sure if I have that wattage right
    I like da fish

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

110 sounds about right for a 4''lamp but you may have to get the 46.5'' lamps#ed_op#BR#ed_cl#for it the 4' or just a tad long for a 4' tank#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#And I'm with Dave on PC onle i don't get 9 months more like 6#ed_op#BR#ed_cl##ed_op#BR#ed_cl#But then i change out my MH after 10 months some say a year but i like to be on the safe side#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7