[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New member here. I made a big mistake. Seeking advice!

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default New member here. I made a big mistake. Seeking advice!

Hi guys. I've been keeping freshwater tanks for years and jumped in the world of reef tanks. I have a 29 gallon with 20lbs of live rock and 20lbs of live sand. I mixed my own water and I have a salinity of 1.025 according to my refractometer.

The problem is, I used TAP water. Yes, tap water. I know its a big mistake. I set it up 2 days ago and ghost fed the tank to start the cycling process. Anyways, should I empty the tank and fill it up with RODI water or should I wait for the cycle to be completed and then do a massive water change (50%) followed by weekly 15% water changes every week once live stock is in there?

Thanks in advance.

Ocho Cinco - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

Tough call but I think I would either restart or drain about 20 gallons and use rodi.
    DO WORK!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Personally I'd drain. Fill up with just RO/DI (no salt) let sit over night. Then drain and refill using fresh RO/DI salt water.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Dumping and refilling would be the safest bet. With that said, do you know what treatment is used on your tap water?

Many people use tap water and seem to have no problems...but if you do have problems it is always going to be the first thing that you will question. Starting from zero (ie., pure water) is easier from a diagnostic stand point in the event you have algae problems or issues with livestock dying down the road.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

Since the rock was live you can't fill the system with RO/DI only, you need the salt mix to keep the rock live.
    At this point if you don't have any inhabitants I would completely drain it, keeping the rock damp or wet and refill with new saltwater made with RO/DI or distilled water.
    Once the tank has cycled start with normal 10-20% water changes.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Oops my bad. Didn't read right about the LR.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by AZDesertRat View Post
    Since the rock was live you can't fill the system with RO/DI only, you need the salt mix to keep the rock live.
    At this point if you don't have any inhabitants I would completely drain it, keeping the rock damp or wet and refill with new saltwater made with RO/DI or distilled water.
    Once the tank has cycled start with normal 10-20% water changes.
    Ok then. Honestly, I'm just worried that the bacteria from the live sand/rock will die if i drain the water or that I will lose some beneficial bacteria but since I've only had it for a couple days, hopefully it won't be a problem. I'll keep the rock in a bucket of the old salt water while I change everything out.

Will there be any negative effects to the bacteria on the rock or in the sand? That is my main concern.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

As long as you keep it damp/wet, the liverock and sand will be fine. Use a separate container to mix the saltwater so you aren't pouring freshwater onto the existing sand.

Liverock is typically shipped damp...not in water. So if this is new liverock, its likely that everything on the rock would be ok for the damp condition. (No doubt intolerant creatures die as a result, but my point is that's the condition your new rock is already in.)

You could leave the rock in place and change the water as long as you had water ready to go. It would be fine to be out of water for a few minutes. (This is personally what I would do rather than re-aquascape.)

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

+1. Your bacteria hasn't really taken hold yet so anything you do now isn't going to make much difference to the rock as long as you keep it damp.

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

What do you think is in your tap water that worries you? It was always my presumption that we were avoiding tap water to keep nitrates and phosphates out of the tank. But, on a new tank - and by your own admission - you are introducing these nutrients to start a cycle. The tap water might just save you the cost of a cocktail shrimp to help start the cycle. By the end of your cycle, I would think the water is being filtered by bacteria, and shouldn't be a big deal.

Now, adding tap water AFTER that cycle ends, that's where you might have concerns. Even still, as jimsflies mentioned, there are people doing that with little repercussion, as well...