[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New Project Input

Bookmark and Share
    UMreefer - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nic

Default New Project Input

I am starting a new project that I have been excited about for some time now, I will be getting my 35 gal Hex tank back up and running over the course of the summer. Back when I started reefing, this was my first tank but I didn't have access to a site like this for referencing so I was attempting to run a Reef Set up using only a canister filter and a PC light fixture...yikes I know. Well after 3 years of reefing, I feel like I am ready to make this the show tank that I have always envisioned in my mind (picture the giant aquarium pillars from Rain Forest Cafe shrunk into mini size.) But I would love some feed back and input as I go through this project.

My game plan for the tank is as follows, I will be ordering a ceramic rock pillar from Alternative Reefs which will resemble a cone shaped reef pillar rising through the center column of my tank, my overflow box on the back of th hex will also have a ceramic overflow box cover. For lighting, I will be constructing a LED set up with a friend of mine, after doing a boat load of research, I can't pass us the energy savings and other up sides that come with them. The trickiest part will be my filtration and sump set up which will have to go in the base of the hex. I am envisioning a custom sump, made out of a tall tank divided into two, one side would be for the return with an area for cheato, rubble rock and possible a sand bed, and on the other side my heater and return pump will be housed. Due to going with a tall but narrow tank to fit it all in, I am really only left with a hang on the sump skimmer option but I plan on getting the largest that I can fit in there. The return plumbing will come up the back side of the tank and split so that there will be 2 return hoses into the tank with flexible PVC so that they can be angled forward and slightly down so that the water will curve around the shape of the hex and hopefully eliminate any dead spots.

This is where I am at now, I just cleaned the tank out yesterday, I will be painting the 3 back panels of the tank black and working on the LED hood while I wait for the custom rock work to arrive, but I am really interested to hear everyone's take on it and input.

Thanks

tankdude - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dean

Thats a cool project, can't wait to see a build thread.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Cant wait to follow along on your first attempt as an experienced reef keeper!

So far, I am really digging your ideas.

First Name
    Nic

Oh it will definitely be different this time around, as a first timer about 6 years ago...starting with a tall hex tank was just pure ****...let alone I didn't know any better. Now don't get me wrong, I have loved my 100 gal and have had great success with it however its just almost to big, I am excited for the rock work to be intricate and to really get some great coral coverage and also to get the LED work as well. I found a sump online last night that will fit under the tank in the hex stand *whew* so that major hurdle has been taken care of and I will be ordering it tonight.

Here's a link to it:

Brand New Acrylic Aquarium Sump 14x13x13 1/4" Thick | eBay

First Name
    Nic

I will get pics of the cleaned tank up later tonight.