[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New to Sumps

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default New to Sumps

I have a question, I have never done a sump filtration, thus I have questions since I am venturing this route. I read that the bigger the better, well regarless of what size sump, is there a way to figure what flowrate you should have in the sump? I am trying to use my sump as a mechanichal filter and bio filter (no skimmer, or refugeum at the moment maybe later for the ref.). The reason that I ask is because every type of filter pad I place in the sump restricts my flowrate quite a bit and that leads to a low level of water in the return pump chamber. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks.
    Last edited by locoyo386; 12-10-2009 at 10:09 PM.

Fishgeek88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Sam

What size is the display tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Fishgeek88 View Post
    What size is the display tank?
    120 gallon

First Name
    Sam

I would personally look at dual drains so around 1000-1200gph running through the sump. If you already have the tank you can either drill the tank and get a kit overflow box or you can buy a HOB overflow like a CPR box. Personally i would stay away from U tube boxes at all possible

Ok lets say I go with the 1200 gph flowrate in the sump (only in the sump). Is there a way to figure out the sump size based on this flowrate? You would not run 1200 gph flowrate in a 10 gallon sump, right?

First Name
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by locoyo386 View Post
    Ok lets say I go with the 1200 gph flowrate in the sump (only in the sump). Is there a way to figure out the sump size based on this flowrate? You would not run 1200 gph flowrate in a 10 gallon sump, right?
    Well you could....but it would be a little ridiculous. Along with flow you have to consider the tank it is suppose to be filtering. I would say roughly a 30-40 gallon sump. If you could fit bigger personally I would go bigger. On a 120 a 50 Gallon breeder sump would look great

ok let me put it this way. If I want to optimise my sump's efficiency (say a 20 gallon tank), is there a way to figure out what maximum flowrate I can have in the sump (regarless or what size display tank is going to filter)?

whitetiger61 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rick

first off what is the size of your display tank...it is important..like fishgeek88 said the bigger the sump, the better..the size of the display will deterimine the minium size of your sump and the return pump that filters..

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger61 View Post
    first off what is the size of your display tank...it is important..like fishgeek88 said the bigger the sump, the better..the size of the display will deterimine the minium size of your sump and the return pump that filters..

Rick
    ok, like I mention above it's a 120 gallon tank.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

If I was to keep my skimmer in the sump, I like to keep the flow rate through it at or a bit above the flow rate through the skimmer. This way, you will optimize the amount of non filtered water to pass through the skimmer on its way through the sump.

For instance- I will be using a mag 5 for return and my skimmer pump is 500 gph, that will be in a 40 gallon breeder sump.

As far as minimum size, I usually map out the skimmer area, return area, and figure out how much room I need/want for the fuge and other misc. equipment. then go a bit bigger for future upgrades.

I have read that flow rate through a sump should be slow, to optimize contact time with filtration, but this can lead to detrius buildup and dead spots. I like to add some flow with water pumps/power heads in the sump instead of ramping up the flow rate through it.

Hope the info helps, but its just my opinion. There are so many different ways to go about sumps with pros and cons to each.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last