[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Nitrates

Bookmark and Share
    systemfan15 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Nitrates

Just to get an idea, what are everyones nitrates levels looking like? Mine are between 10-20 ppm.... if i had to guess they are around 15 ppm. The reason I'm asking is because I would like to know how low the nitrates need to be to start adding corals and anemones. And while i'm writing this thread I'd like to know how much harder anemones are to take care of than corals. And which anemones and/ or corals are hardy, easy to take care of, and will do fine w/ a light fixture that puts out like 4 watts/gal. thank you
    Steve K.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

My nitrates are below 5 at all times. I have about 80# of LR, a plenum in the show, in a chamber of my sump, and a DSB in a chamber of my fuge. As far as corals... the more hardy type would be ok, IMO. How long has your results measured where they do now? IMO, test today and in a week, if the results are unchanged, give it another couple of weeks, test again, and if still unchanged, begin adding some beginner corals.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

Yeah I always have super low nitrate, Ive always heard lots and lots of LR help with that (after its been cycled).
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

i added 17gallons of water to my 150 gallons of saltwater tank i woke up the next morning and mt white face tang, clown fish, california sting ray, were all dead, my hippo tang, dog face puffer, and other fish are all gasping for theire breathe. are my coral in danger, what should i do or test for.
    curious minds want to know.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by octavia
    i added 17gallons of water to my 150 gallons of saltwater tank i woke up the next morning and mt white face tang, clown fish, california sting ray, were all dead, my hippo tang, dog face puffer, and other fish are all gasping for theire breathe. are my coral in danger, what should i do or test for.
    When you say you added 17g of water, what kind of water? Just RO or salt mixed? If there are that many critters having difficulty then something obviously changed dramatically, run specific gravity, pH, ammo, nitrite, nitrate.... Heck I'd run every test you have to try and isolate the cause... even the source water of what you added.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

chrisl1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Octavia,
    How long has this tank been running, were the params off before you did this water change, was it to correct a probem? Ammonia or Nitrate buildup? Were the inhabitants showing signs of stress before the water was added? I find it a little hard to believe that roughly a 10% water change would kill off all your livestock in an established aquarium, I could see some signs of distress if the replacement water was not close to the tank water, but all to die,hmmm was the water contaminated with anything?

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

i in the same ball park as everyone else. doesn't seem normal that a 10% change can do this on its own, unless the water was dramaticly different than what the tank water was before the change. are you sure the water was pre-mixed with salt ?? i definatly agree with Dakar on doing all the tests you possibly can. that should narrow down the causes of the problem.

Sounds like low oxygen or maybe ammonia poisoning.
    KG