[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Nitrates super high!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Bookmark and Share
    Corvette Reefer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Nitrates super high!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

My dad tested the water today in his 65 gallon tank he said it was as high as the kit could read, probably around 200 PPM. We can only do 18 gallon changes at a time with a 5 gallon bucket, what other things can we do, i remember reading about vodka dosing to lower them fast? could that be a possibility if any ones got a link to do so? And any other help is great, thanks.

btw all other tests were prefect, we running a redsea skimmer and phosphate reactor and a hob filter with carbon.
    The names Vette, Corvette. . .

card16969 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Aaron

personally go buy a couple 5 gallon buckets and go and get some water and do massive water changes, imho jumping into vodka dosing is very dangerous

kgood1 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Kyle

+1 on the massive water change.

First Name
    Manoj
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner Tank of the Month

Negative on Vodka Dosing.

you can do more water changes frequently and less feeding for couple of days.

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

You may want to get a double check on that test before you do anything crazy. Maybe the test is bad.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I agree with water changes as an emergency measure. However, in the long term we need to figure out why they are that high or it will likely happen again. You either have too many nutrient inputs (fish) or not enough nutrient exports (filters).

How is your livestock looking? Did you only have nitrates or ammonia and nitrite also?

When you get a chance fill out a Reef Showcase (located in your UserCP at the top). This will allow us to see at a glance what all you have going on with your setup.

Since we don't have that yet, how large is your system, how old, how many fish?

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sand bed get blown around? Can cause huge nitrate spikes.

I would do a 10-15 gallon water change a day, for about 4 or 5 days- and watch to see the nitrates drop.

How old is that test kit? They are most of the time good for a year- then become inacurate/untrustworthy.

CR Member

I agree, water changes are your safest bet, 30-40% would be safe, if animals are in distress i would do a larger change, good luck.