[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Now I know why so many people get out of this hobby

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Jstadler - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    John

Default Now I know why so many people get out of this hobby

Got home last night, talked to the wife, grabbed the baby and went down to check out the tank, feed the fish, etc. As soon as I get to the end of the steps I notice something isn't right, halides are still kicking at 9pm, they are supposed to shut down at 7. Strange, but not a huge deal I think to my self, get closer to the tank, and realize the floor is wet. You gotta be kidding me right? A couple months ago my 50 breeder sump/fuge cracked across the back pane. New 50br, siliconed all the baffles in the new one, drilled my hole for my external return pump, replumbed the whole system, everything was great. IT **** HAPPENED AGAIN. So I was up till about midnight getting everything swapped into a rumbermaid sump, and a little creative plumbing it's back up and running. So in one day life has just crushed my spirit, to top it all off I'm going on vacation Monday morning. Who know what kinda tragedy will happen then. I don't know what I'm gonna do. Maybe put it all up for sale. Just when everything starts coming together, this kinda crap continues to happen to me. Just wanted to rant, hopefully I can get parts from aquaticlife in time to at least get my light fixture fixed before I leave.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Sorry to hear this...so the sump cracked?

First Name
    John

Yep again.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

sorry to hear! if it is the sump that cracked on you twice then try to get a sump of the same size but thicker glass. I had my sump crack on me literally 5 minutes before i was supposed to go up north fora week, i emptied my skimmer cup before i left and boom the thing ****tered so i struggled to shut everything down and lucky i like to prepare and i actually had an old sump that i saved and was able to swap them out and have everything back running in about 2 hours time. still a pain in the *** but it really saved me for my trip. Maybe since this has happened more than once now if you do decide to stay in the hobby make a back up sump just in case this happens again so you can do a quick swap out or something.

Hope things get better!

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

I'm sorry to hear of your struggles. Did both sumps crack in the same way/area? What did you use to make the baffles? I seem to recall reading instances where acrylic baffles swelled and cracked glass tanks.

It's a long shot, but just in case. Good luck getting things back together!
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Hmm, that's strange that both would break. Did you re-use the baffles from the old sump, and re-silicone them into the new one?

If they are too wide, it could be stressing the sides of the sump causing it to fail after awhile.

Sorry to hear about this, don't give up though!

First Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Synergy View Post
    Hmm, that's strange that both would break. Did you re-use the baffles from the old sump, and re-silicone them into the new one?

If they are too wide, it could be stressing the sides of the sump causing it to fail after awhile.

Sorry to hear about this, don't give up though!
    Yes I reused the old baffles and resiliconed them in. They had a small gap on each side, I would say about 1/8" on each side. Upon further investigation, this morning it appears the guy that had this setup before me had some sort of leak and the bottom tray of the stand is warped, there were some shims and a piece of tongu and groove OSB on top of it. I'm 100% positive the sump was in there level, I checked it several times with a 3 foot level during the install. I guess it's possible that the OSB is bowing and causing the tank to crack when full.

Both sumps cracked in a similar way. All the way across the back from the lower left to top right.

I know a rubbermaid will work good, but doesn't look too nice. Its gotta be the timer on the halides, its a combo fixture. The T5's and LED's still turn on and off, but the halides come on and stay on as soon as you plug it in. Another hour and I can call James at Aquaticlife and see what we can do.

Thanks for the support guys.

Bluering - Reefkeeper CR Member

Hang in there man, your not the only person in the hobby that has had bad luck. I recently bought a brand new skimmer, got it about 1.5 weeks ago. I was adjusting a few things on it and it fell off this crate not even 2 feet from the ground and cracked all along the bottom through a bulkhead, now its completely useless untill i can see if i can get it fixed. Then not even 10 minutes of me having a fit of rage from the skimmer breaking, i pulled my backup skimmer off another tank and that sent the lights into the water. Now this week i have lost 3 prized fish to marine velvet. So I know how you feel, hang in there man it will get better.
    Neogonodactylus Wennerae

jay13 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jay

the glass sump checking out to be level does not mean that it is supported evenly all the way across. sounds like this might have been part of the issue. rebuild that bottom to support the tank evenly and i bet it is a problem solved.

First Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jay13 View Post
    the glass sump checking out to be level does not mean that it is supported evenly all the way across. sounds like this might have been part of the issue. rebuild that bottom to support the tank evenly and i bet it is a problem solved.
    I was thinking possibly the same thing. Do you think I can remove and replace the lower tray without tanking the whole tank and stand down?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last