[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Opinions and suggestions.......

Bookmark and Share
    Mike - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Opinions and suggestions.......

MOst of you guys know I am in the process of setting up the 125 rimless. Going to use this as the light hanger http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=160 and once it gets here I will be working on the fixture. I decided that dimmable drivers on the whites is how I will control the whites led's. I have 4 of the xp-g 7ups from cutter that I will be using. Those have both white and blue on them. On those I am just going to use the ELN-60's that I have here (they are non dimmable). I plan on doing an area that is deeper water over by the overflow and more of a shallow rendition near the end. That is where I will be using the dimmable whites. I have a lot of choices as far as optics go for the LED's. I have 40/60/80 degree's here to use on the single Led's. Now that I know better what I am doing I think things will go faster than the previous build did and I plan on harvesting some parts like the royale blues and greens from one fixture.

My prediction is there will be around 100-120 LEds over the tank. That is 50% less than I used on the 270 gallon. I figure since the tank is shallow (20" tall) and only 24 deep that I can vary coverage and intensity by manipulating the optics in certain areas.

I am leaning more and more towards a reef with chalices and acropora. A few choice things like a gold hammer or torch from aussie are on my list as is a nice scoly. A few nice clams will also make it in I think. Keeping it wrasse dominant too.

The sump is 30*20*12 and wll house the Alpha 300 cone. Return will be accomplished with an Eheim 1260 return. I can plumb it straight up too. There will be a check valve in line on the return. I think I will just use carbon passively and run the GFO in my GEO media reactor externally. The only other piece of organic processing I will use is the De-nitrator. I will be getting rid of two other reactors this way. The alpha 300 will no doubt handle this 125 without breaking a sweat.

WIll still use the profilux to manage the tank with. The diming channels will be invaluable for color rendering. The Led mix of cool and nuetral whites with cool blue and royale blue will give me a lot to play with too. Top off will be with the liter meter and Alk/CAL/Mg/K+ will be dosed with the profilux dosers. I am going to start with those four basic elements and see how things look. If I have a doser I dont use then it will be a nice back up to have.

ONce the 270 is gone that wall will be closed up. I am going to use that room for proping and I have a 24*24*8 frag tank that the frags will go in. That is like 20 gallons. I have a 30 gallon custom sump that will go under it. I doubt I will need to use a skimmer for it but if I do I can get a decent SWC cone for not much money. Gount to use the 84 LED fixture over that tank. Just will be hung about 14 inches from the tank to start and par will be measured with the apogee to determine proper height. That will be the only prop tank. I might try to breed clownfish later on this year. again that would take place in that room.

SO those are my plans and what I will be doing this winter to pass the time
    anacroporamademepoora
    --Lifetime member of the "No Mud Club".:

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Looking forward to watching you pass time!!

Sounds like you have a great plan! I like it.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

That's a **** of a plan, Mike. GL...will be following.

cephalotus - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

Definately taggin along on this one.

Mike - Reefkeeper CR Member

Having the tank upstairs will free that space up and since I have always wanted a space to prop things and grow them out away from the main tank it will be nice. My inland saw can stay there and I like that. The work area is also as large as the 270 is. The stand we built into the wall so it is never leaving . I figure I can get a bubble magus stand alone doser to handle dosing elements and top off.
    anacroporamademepoora
    --Lifetime member of the "No Mud Club".:

CR Member

Sounds like a solid plan Mike!

What's the check valve on the return line for? If you do use it just make sure to keep that sucker clean