[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Outdoor Propagation

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last

the university of maine has an out door coral farm and its cold there. I will try to find a link

Quote Originally Posted by spsreefer View Post
    the university of maine has an out door coral farm and its cold there. I will try to find a link

Have you checked if its under a greenhouse?

Most that I see if its cold, they greenhouse it with insulation, but warm I have not seen any secrets on keeping the water cool for cheap.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

Its in a greenhouse. I have seen people bury 40-50 feet of hose underground and plum it into the system to use the cold earth to cool water.

You would do best to contact some guys that have run greenhouse prop systems.

I don't believe the aluminum radiator plan will work. Saltwater is a corrosive, after all. Running water through it 24/7 can't be healthy for your livestock. I can't think of a single thing I've ever put in my tank that was made of aluminum in 9 years, and any aluminum brackets over my tank usually were pitted just due to salt creep.

I've too thought about a greenhouse in my backyard. What I'd love to do is have a couple of very shallow grow out trays, and then plumb that back to a huge sump in the house. My thoughts were similar to yours, in that the inside air is so cool the water wouldn't require a heavy chiller. However, the massive sump inside the house would add to the indoor humidity and probably deterioration of my home.

Using geothermal methods can work if your plumbing isn't too insulated. Most PVC and tubing tends to insulate itself, and the transfer of heat isn't easily achieved. What I've read mentioned how you'd have to have super long serpentine plumbing buried. One project was considered, and those with greater minds applied some mathematics to predict a realistic outcome, and that one needed something like 2 miles of buried pipe.

Fans can work in your favor to cool the water/greenhouse - but humidity in Florida will limit that effectiveness.

You might ask Anthony in his forum if he has some suggestions, since he used to run a greenhouse business.
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

Do you know Dick Hilgers? He's in Florida now, but was from Madison, WI. He's in the process of starting an aquaculture/farming adventure too. He's a great guy with a lot of practical experience and is NEVER at a loss for words

He has a site.. let me find it.

Dave
    ><((((

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

Here it is:

www.theculturedreef.com

Tell him I said hello...

D
    ><((((

Melv im going to research about aluminum a bit more before I get into it. From my understanding though aluminum corrodes at an extremely slow rate because of its oxide coating it creates to protect it self. Also when full immersed in water (which the inside will have a continuous flow) its even slower! But I have to look up more information when i have the chance.
    55 Gallon. One year old, and looking SUPER.

bobert - Reefkeeper Registered User

what about snow and rain and stuff like that you better cover that thing up good
    :smt069Bobert:smt029

On the road of life only question the important things and youll find the road gets smoother up ahead:iroc:

hummer - Reefkeeper CR Member

sounds out of the ordinary thats for sure ... but very cool
    :: hummer :nemo

CR Member
    First Name
    Steven

1.) You do want to keep out as much dust, dirt, leaves, etc. as possible. In my greenhouse I am going to use nylon window screen over the shutter air intakes to minimize things coming in.

2.) Shade cloth and fans will go a long way along with large aquaria to minimize temperature shifts.

3.) Aluminum is bad.
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...y2003/chem.htm

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last