[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

To paint or not?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default To paint or not?

Would like to know what to do with the outside back of my tank. Paint it? If so, type of paint used?
    Also the top and bottom frame of the tank has that fake wood grain. Can I paint that too? Would it just peal off with time, better yet will it peal off now?

There is nothing like being a REEFER!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

I prefer to paint the backs of my tanks black. It really does not matter what paint you use as long as it is coated well, usually several light coats versus one thicker coat which tends to run and streak.
    I have used Krylon in both a spray paint and brushed or rolled on from a can. I have also used no name or store brand paints and the worked just as well. I usually mask the trim off but it really does not matter.

Just be careful with hang on back devices like skimmers, overflows and HOB filters as they will scratch the paint if moved around a lot. I sometimes stick a small piece of felt on the contact points and that seems to work well. Its easy to touch the paint up though if it gets scratched, a dab on a paper towel goes on easy and requires no clean up.

What he said

steve&mari - Reefkeeper CR Member

Also trim should be sanded lightly before you paint it if you do. My son n I built our stand and used some blue n black marble laminate from a thrift store for few bucks did top of stand with it and also covered black trim on tank with it. When we finish conapy it also will be covered to match. Back of tank is painted blue so it all blends. As said any paint should work go with a outdoor paint though will hold up lil better with it being so near saltwater. They also have really nice adheasive backgrounds now kinda like window tint for your car that work great. And adheasive spray for the other backgrounds that still allows it to be removed. Kinda 6 of 1 half doz. of the other. Lol
    Steve

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

i used oil based paint on my back its thicker and did a realy good job with only 2 coats but i would deffently paint it
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

The only problem with adhesive backgrounds is that a drip of saltwater can get between them and the glass which make for an ugly eyesore. Paint won't allow that to happen. I use krylon spray paint. It is cheap and easy and it works well.
    Quote Originally Posted by steve&mari View Post
    Also trim should be sanded lightly before you paint it if you do. My son n I built our stand and used some blue n black marble laminate from a thrift store for few bucks did top of stand with it and also covered black trim on tank with it. When we finish conapy it also will be covered to match. Back of tank is painted blue so it all blends. As said any paint should work go with a outdoor paint though will hold up lil better with it being so near saltwater. They also have really nice adheasive backgrounds now kinda like window tint for your car that work great. And adheasive spray for the other backgrounds that still allows it to be removed. Kinda 6 of 1 half doz. of the other. Lol
    Steve

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

CR Member
    First Name
    Matt

Paint it for sure...I think my took 3 coats of black spray paint.

Heidi - Reefkeeper
    Queen of Chat

First Name
    Heidi
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

I didn't paint my hex I am just letting the panel that is against the wall cover up with algae, so its like a combo of purple, green, red and red from the wall behid it. Just a different approach. (no right or wrong) I like a natural look as you can see from me "leaving my algae in my tank alone"

MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

"To paint or not? " I would say Not. Why? Glass, by nature of its smooth surface, is not a desireable surface for paint to adhere to. If you have cords, cables, wires, hoses with clamps, hang on devices etc, that will dangle and possibly scratch the paint, it now becomes an eyesore. I have always used a black of blue piece of aquarium backing from any LFS. I don't like using glue as it is nearly impossible to get it perfect with an airless finish. Instead, I will measure and cut the backing both vertically and horizontally, leaving 3/8" or so excess on the top and bottom cut. It your tank has a black plastic edge, as most tanks do, I'd slide the top upwards and underneath this edge starting at the top then sticking the bottom edge inside the black trim. I have done this with every tank I have ever own and it looks greats. But now you have to seal it to prevent any splashed water from dripping between the glass and the backing. I use basis 1" clear tape to seal all four edges. It is a flawless and seamless finish. Make sure you don't crinkle your backing as it will show through when viewed from the front of the tank. Good luck my friend.

Just my 2 cents.

Mucho Reef
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I wish I were artistic enough to do this. I watched this guy make it and man talk about taking your time, and a lot of it. It's all made from Styrofoam.

http://www.instructables.com/image/F...Background.jpg
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last