[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Planning New System

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Default Planning New System

So I have recently decided that I never should have gone with an AIO in an effort to save money when I set up my tank. Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot, it's relatively healthy, and has been a great starting point for me. I now want to establish a system with a sump however I have limited room to do so, which partially drove the decision to the AIO.

I'm planning a new system right now that will be 36" long and have a width of somewhere between 18"-24" and be no deeper than 16". I really like the look of the shallower tanks and I only have room for a 36" long tank. I'm also pretty well set on using a coast to coast external overflow "Bean" style. Based on how I built the house I'm in, I'm somewhat limited. A larger tank would require some structural reinforcement and movement of walls that the wife is simply not going to allow. Right now, I'm pretty well set on the equipment. The tank will be rimless, I'm getting a new skimmer soon, and have a BRS reactor running carbon and GFO and a separate TLF reactor that I plan on using for biopellets. The only variable for me now is lighting. I know for sure that I want to do LED. I'm considering either a DIY LED set up or looking into the Kessil fixtures.....not sure yet. The intent is for a mixed reef, likely SPS dominated.

Equipment that I have that will be used in this build:
    • RKL with temp and pH probe.
    • Vortech MP10
    • Tunze 6045 (not controllable)

All other equipment will be either new, or purchased used. I plan on having a sump with fuge so I can have a growth spot for pods with the intent of eventually having pod dependent fish once the tank matures. Most rock will be new but seeded with rock from my current tank.

So, for the members of CR, what are your recommendations considering the tank sizes I'm thinking of? Does anyone have anything that they wish they had done when they set up their tanks? Or, does anyone have things that they have done that they regret? Does anyone have any comments regarding lighting, DIY vs. a purchased fixture? Does anyone have any thoughts about the tank footprints I'm considering?

This build will take time. My wife and I are expecting a second child at the end of the year and have some other financial commitments, so I will slowly acquire equipment to make this happen, but it must be right. I need it to be the best it can be because it's all I'll be able to have.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sounds like a good start.

In breeder tanks, I have always been a huge fan of 18" to 20" tall. Gives some height, without being too much, for fish to swim and head room for aquascaping. Every 40 I have set up was great for a while, but then always wished I had a little more height to expand a little. Anything over 22" ended up just looking too tall.

Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

cephalotus - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan

36x24x16 would be sweet.I would deffinately go with 24.

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Sounds like a good start.

In breeder tanks, I have always been a huge fan of 18" to 20" tall. Gives some height, without being too much, for fish to swim and head room for aquascaping. Every 40 I have set up was great for a while, but then always wished I had a little more height to expand a little. Anything over 22" ended up just looking too tall.

Looking forward to seeing this one come together.
    +1 Shallow tanks are cool but once everything starts growing in you are going to be sad that you didnt go a little deeper. 36x24x20 would be really nice.
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Great points from all. More than likely I'll end up with an 18" tall tank. It's going to take a while to pull this one together. If I go with a 36 x 24 as I would like, the tank is going to be a bit spendy. If I stick with a traditional breeder footprint, It make make better financial sense.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Great choice on a breeder. 36x24x18 is the shallowest I would go personally. Who is building your tank?
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Your defantly going to want a24 wide tank because the more room you have on the sand bed the happier you'll be. I would personally have the tank drilled vs a hob overflow. great lakes makes awesome rimless ones and I hope you're planning a build thread

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by larryandlaura View Post
    Great choice on a breeder. 36x24x18 is the shallowest I would go personally. Who is building your tank?
    Not sure who will build the tank yet. I have contacted Great Lakes and they told me they don't offer custom sizes??? Thought that was strange.

Quote Originally Posted by bluwc View Post
    Your defantly going to want a24 wide tank because the more room you have on the sand bed the happier you'll be. I would personally have the tank drilled vs a hob overflow. great lakes makes awesome rimless ones and I hope you're planning a build thread
    Most certainly will be a drilled tank, but I'm considering an external overflow, not an HOB. So the rear panel of the tank will be 1" lower than the front. It will then drain into a 4" x 4" external box that will have the drain bulkheads drilled into it. I'm planning this like the Bean Animal System like this but it will be outside the tank footprint to maximize my space. I would love a 24" wide tank but need to take more measurements of the location where the tank will go. I may be limited to 18" or 20" in width based on the type of overflow I'm considering. I don't want to see any plumbing in the tank at all and it will be a rimless open top tank so I need the "sex" appeal of that.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by creefer View Post
    Not sure who will build the tank yet. I have contacted Great Lakes and they told me they don't offer custom sizes??? Thought that was strange.

Most certainly will be a drilled tank, but I'm considering an external overflow, not an HOB. So the rear panel of the tank will be 1" lower than the front. It will then drain into a 4" x 4" external box that will have the drain bulkheads drilled into it. I'm planning this like the Bean Animal System like this but it will be outside the tank footprint to maximize my space. I would love a 24" wide tank but need to take more measurements of the location where the tank will go. I may be limited to 18" or 20" in width based on the type of overflow I'm considering. I don't want to see any plumbing in the tank at all and it will be a rimless open top tank so I need the "sex" appeal of that.
    Lol get your sex appeal! Great Lakes does custom cuts. I have bought three tanks from them and I will never buy from any where else again. Steve takes great care of his customers.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by larryandlaura View Post
    Lol get your sex appeal! Great Lakes does custom cuts. I have bought three tanks from them and I will never buy from any where else again. Steve takes great care of his customers.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to give him a call. I'm going to start sketching the system up soon. Winter weather is coming, as is a new born, so I'll have some time to think about it....I hope....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... Last