[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Plant tank to Reef tank?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member

Default Plant tank to Reef tank?

Hi everybody.
    I from Michigan Aquatic Plant Group. This is / was my tank...150 Project :-) - Michigan Aquatic Plant Group

I already tore it down and I want to start over. However, I am sick of freshwater tanks. And keeping live plants. It gets boreing after doing it for two years. No one every walks into someones house and is like "wow, I like your plant tank with your Cardinal Tetras!" People dont get too exited with they see even some of the most beautiful freshwater tanks. But when they see a reef tank...there eyes get huge, and automaticly people seem to respect and listen to people more when they say they have a salt-water set up because people automaticly tend to think that just because you have salt-water, your the guy they will listen to when your just some employer in the fish department at petsmart (me). anways sorry for the little rant.

I already emptied my tank of the fish and water. I want to clean it all really well. I got tired of battleing Cyano Bacteria. It was my fault though because in recent months I got lazy, So I stoped doing my weekly 50% water changes, stoped fertilizeing the plants, never replaced my light bulbs after a year, stoped testing my water...yea, I kind of let the tank go...

So, yes, I want to convert this tank into a reef tank. I already put 6 grand in to the tank when it was just a Discus Planted tank. I think I already have most of the stuff I need for the tank, but I could be wrong, So tell me what else I need. I already know I need to buy a proteen Skimmer. And I dont know the kind of bulbs I need either.

150 Gallon
    3 sunpod DE metal halides 150 watt each (what kalvins do I need?)
    20 LBS CO2 Tank
    Factory drilled overflow
    Berlin sump
    Fluvl E-heater
    pH Controller
    25 Watt Aqua Step UV Sterliser

Am I corect in asumeing that it should not be all too dificult to convert this tank?

some "plans" I have for the tank are... obviously its going to be a reef. But I want it to be also "low-matainence" (If there is such a thing (which there isent) in this hobby). I am not planing on makeing this tank good enough to be in an aquascapeing contest or anything like that. I have a busy life with Church, Work at Petsmart, College, and 2 Corn Snakes as it is.

To be honest, I kind of already know some of the fish I want. Ever since I was little going to the Rain Forest Cafe I have always liked the those Yellow Tang, and ever since Finding Nemo came out, I have always liked clownfish. HOWEVER, I DISLIKED THAT MOVIE. DID NOT MUCH CARE FOR IT. I JUST THOUGHT THE NEMO FISH (clown) LOOKED AWSOME. But, Yes, I want some clown fish. sevel differnt species actualy. I am looking at wanting a total of more than 5 fish in the tank, but less then 10. I like some of the cool shrimp too. Im sorry I dont know the names of these animals completly yet, or anything about Corals, But I plan to learn. No matter what, I need to save my money and sell off my driftwood and flourite gravel to people. Im hopeing I wont have to spend no more then $500. I Want to be paitent with the tank, and not start seting it up until about October (with out fish still) (asumeing I still to go through with it).

These are pictures of my tank with the 14k bulbs..I dont know about you, but I just think it looks awful...the tnak is bare bottom right now (with freshwater)
    Im not sure if others would agree but isent this tank bad? I feel like everyone is saying get 14 K bulbs get 20 K bubls..and others say 10 K bulbs are whiter and make the corals grow faster but the higher the kalvin the healthier the corals...I dont have room to put other lights in the canopy because the Halides take up so much room...
    Does anybody else think I should look for a halide bulb that is in between 10 and 14 K? or should I wait until I have the tank filled with coral and live rock and stuff, then should I decide? will seting up the rest of the tank make a differnce in how the light looks? I dont know. I just thought I would get peoples opinion...
    I just think it makes the water look poluted and its an eye soar in the room because the lighting is so differnt. to put things in perspective...this is a 6 foot 150 gallon tank, and the ceiling is 8 feet high. as you see, its from the ground up, and almost touches the ceiling. That is a 52 inch TV in the room...just to put things in perspective. This is in a basement.
    The last pic wil be with the tank was with live plants. that way you can see the kind of lighting differnce this makes as a perspective thing for you..I just think the 14 K is too much. or , it could be im just not used to it...h btw...the bulbs when it was a plant tank were 6700K

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6...lp-151135.html

SDC10584 - Plant tank to Reef tank?

SDC10579 - Plant tank to Reef tank?

SDC10578 - Plant tank to Reef tank?

SDC10577 - Plant tank to Reef tank?

its a black backround btw

DSCN0300 - Plant tank to Reef tank?

IMG 5182 - Plant tank to Reef tank?

IMG 5562 - Plant tank to Reef tank?

IMG 5568 - Plant tank to Reef tank?

IMG 5531 - Plant tank to Reef tank?
    Last edited by whitedove359; 07-23-2010 at 02:28 PM.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Hi Whitedove! Your in for a real treat here at CR!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Welcome to CR. I bet you won't be bored with SW in two years! If/when you have questions don't hesitate to ask... that's what we're here for.

What are your stocking plans for the tank?

Tom

CR Member

wow thats unfortunet, everything I typed never got posted....

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Did you copy and paste it from msword? If so, there is a bug with vbulletin with the character symbols used in word. Copy and pasting apostrphes and quotes almost always cut off the post. The best way, assuming that is what happened, is to email it to yourself as a plain text email which should remove the quotes and apostrophes (a few other symbols also cause issues too). Then repaste it here...you should be able to edit your post above to correct it.

Sorry about the problems, I have been searching for a better solution for nearly 10 months and haven't found one yet. There is a couple new versions of vbulletin available now and we will be upgrading. I'm holding out hope that this issue may be resolved with one of the updates to the forum software itself.
    Last edited by jimsflies; 07-23-2010 at 02:29 PM.

CR Member

jimsflies, are you the Admin for the whole site? You sound like it. I copyed and pasted from another forum(s) from post. I figure my best bet to learn is to join multiple forums and ask the same information and copy and past everyting that way I can reach a wider range of people and everybody knows the same thing. I coppied my post from Michigan Reefers and The Reef Tank forums.

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

with all that equipment already you are 1/2 or more on your way. lol. alot of people would say that is the blue you want your reef tank to look like, or close. being used to 6700k it will look strange to you. but a 10k light even looks very yellow on a reef tank, not very pretty. exactly like you said above there are reasons for peoples color choices in lighting. it may depend on what you want to keep coral wise also that will make some of the decisions for you.

welcome and i like your FW tank alot

CR Member

Thanks. I just got back from the store and put a depostie down on a custom made sump...only 140 bucks for the entire thing. and its glass... 45 inches long, 16 high, and 14 wide....however, the skimmer im buying of craigs list...125 bucks... is called an SWC 200 Skimmer. I was wondering if anyone on here knows the dimensions of that. I emaild the guy, but waiting a responce. I need to call the store back in so I can give them the dimensions of the skimmer so they can modify the sump chambers / or hight, if necisary.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by whitedove359 View Post
    jimsflies, are you the Admin for the whole site? You sound like it. I copied and pasted from another forum(s) from post. I figure my best bet to learn is to join multiple forums and ask the same information and copy and past everything that way I can reach a wider range of people and everybody knows the same thing. I copied my post from Michigan Reefers and The Reef Tank forums.
    Yes, that would be me.

Out of curiosity, was the original post you made on the other sites typed in MS Word? The special characters don't always cause an issue, and sometimes won't cause an issue until the post is edited again. (I know cause I have put together a lot of the feature articles on the site and deal with it all the time.) I moved your thread to the Reef Discussion forum rather than the meet and greet forum...I'm wondering if that might have caused the MS Word symbol issue to trigger.

By the way, welcome to CR. You have a welcome thread here that looks like you might not of have seen yet.

CR Member

Sorry i forgot about where the thread was. I have no idea what MS Word is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last