[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Porites came with my w/o porites rock!

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Porites came with my w/o porites rock!

Now what do I do?

I ordered the Xmas tree worm rock w/o porites from online because I knew my little 24G nano deluxe lighting would not support porites but would support the feather worms. I checked to be sure the rock was NOT with porites. My order arrived this morning and I was surprised to see this HUGE coral.....porites with a wonderful sprinkling of christmas tree worms. I would be thrilled at the quality if I was sure I could keep it alive....it's gorgeous!

We are starting a 180 gallon reef tank right now but at this point we are testing the pumps and heaters... the tank still has fresh water in it! We have to get and cure the liverock and live sand before we can even consider putting anything living into it. Do you think that I can successfully keep the christmas tree rock w/o porites (that came covered in porites) for 6 weeks or so? We will have MH lighting plenty to support the porites after we get the tank running. I really don't want to return this lovely specimin but I don't want to kill it either.

Does anyone have any helpful advice for me? Helllllllllp!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that stupidity has no limits!

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

I would just try to keep the porites under as much light and the levels stable as much possible until you get the 180 running. Hopefully it will pull through and you will have nice piece to add to your tank. You would be surprised at what some stuff will live through.

PurpleAardvark - Reefkeeper CR Member

Porites will adapt to different lighting if the water quality is good. Just keep it at the top of your tank and you should be fine.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

RWalston - Reefkeeper CR Member

PurpleAardvark

I would kind of disagree on that. yes some sps will adapt to the lighting they are given like monti digi. Porites is not the same. They require strong light like Acropora. There is also the fact that most porites that are wild do not adapt well to the conditions of most tanks. Giving that it would be in a tank for 6 months with inadequate lighting I would gamble and say that the porites will die before the 180 is up and running. This is all only my opinion,

Rich

ReefNeck - Reefkeeper Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RWalston
    Giving that it would be in a tank for 6 months with inadequate lighting I would gamble and say that the porites will die before the 180 is up and running. This is all only my opinion,

Rich
    Unless I am seriously hallucinating from the drugs this hospital is giving me she said 6 WEEKS, not 6 months.

RWalston - Reefkeeper CR Member

My mistake.

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

i would have to agree with Don, if kept AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE in the tank you may have be surprised at what PC lighting (i think is what the nano deluxe comes with) can keep alive.

harmanrk - Reefkeeper CR Member

Okay, what are Porties? I dont think I've ever heard the term, but I am not really into SPS corals. Can someone post a photo?

PurpleAardvark - Reefkeeper CR Member

Sorry, Dave I know some one who has a yellow porties under 2- 15 w Flo. and the thing is growing. I was shocked when I saw it. But after talking to several reps. most porties are very adaptive to light as long as the water quality is good. They exception to this is fiji porties but can any one ever say they have kept a fiji sps for more than 1 year? Location of coral has a big impact on how easy they are to take care of. I would say about 80-90% of porties we get come from bali or salomin Islands. Besides me and dave agreed on 2 things I knew it couldn't last.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

CR Member

You mean I actually got you two to agree on something??????

LOL Where's my prize??
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that stupidity has no limits!