[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Power outage

Bookmark and Share
    MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

Default Power outage

Having survived/experienced a power outage last night from 9:20 pm to 4:40 am,, I thought it ironic I would get an email today with some reminders about power outages. Gotta get a flippin' generator. Doesn't hurt to be reminded about the basics. I can't believe those power company people go out in winds like that and get power back on for people in the middle of the night. I hope they know how much everyone appreciates that effort!
    Black Ops Reef: How2Deal with an Aquarium Power Outage - REEFEDITION

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Power outage

My father was a Linemen for our Board of Light & Power for 31 years. I remember so so many middle of the night call outs. This was back in the day where there was no such thing as a Bucket Truck.
    Til this day I believe the saying "neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail" should have been meant for the Power Linemen!

Glad your tank survived darlin

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Wow you you sure you are a reef trooper John.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by MyNemesis View Post
    Having survived/experienced a power outage last night from 9:20 pm to 4:40 am,, I thought it ironic I would get an email today with some reminders about power outages. Gotta get a flippin' generator. Doesn't hurt to be reminded about the basics. I can't believe those power company people go out in winds like that and get power back on for people in the middle of the night. I hope they know how much everyone appreciates that effort!
    Black Ops Reef: How2Deal with an Aquarium Power Outage - REEFEDITION
    Thanks John ! You are correct,most people don't realize the hours that all electric and gas employee's put in during an outage like the one caused by the recent storm ! It is an all hands on deck event. My hat is always tipped to the linemen. If it's not at home many travel to other states to help out. Tonight is the first night that I have slept in my bed since the storm. That was a whopper,we had winds upto 70 mph in areas. Mother Nature has her moments for sure! Lol

If you have Vortech pumps the battery back up is well worth it and cheaper then a generator for a short outage. Before I installed a home generator I used the small Honda generator for the tank. Worked just fine to run the lights , heater and return pump. Paid for itself real fast and the Hondas are very quiet! Lesson I learned last outage,tae care of your generator and start it every month. Once you get it warmed up,shut the gas supply off and run the carb dry so it will not gunk up! No ONE !!! Sells rebuild kits these days ,I had to get mine online,so tae care of it so it can take care of you.
    Last edited by binford4000; 11-20-2013 at 01:03 AM.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post