[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Preparing for a week long trip

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CashFan83 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nathan

Default Preparing for a week long trip

Okay so we're going to Florida for a week. Have the ATO set up and working with an ample storage container, all the lights are on timers, just did a water change. Have the digital auto feeder tested and operating as desired. Anything anyone can think of I may be leaving out? Generators are out of the question but I do have 3 battery powered airpumps that I plan on teaching the tank baby sitter how to use in case of an outage. So any ideas let me know!?

korndiddy20 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mark

personally ive heard to many horror stories about going on vacation. I wouldnt have a auto feeder, i dont trust them. Last thing you need is the thing to go stupid and dump a bunch of food in your tank leaving your tank sitter to try to fix the issue. can the tank last a week with out being fed. or maybe the sitter can feed one cube of something every other day.
    Diddy Polyp Pimp

CR Member
    First Name
    Ryan
    Awards March Madness Award - 2012 March Madness Winner

Don't forget to have fun! Sounds like everything should be okay.

CashFan83 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nathan

I may just do the every other day feed thing, going to give the auto feeder a couple days to see how it performs regardless. And thanks I am hoping we should have fun, my 3 year old daughter is losing her mind because she found out we are going to see real mermaids ( the weekee wachi mermaids) spelling? any how the wife also has something "special" planned as we'll be down there for my birthday, I have a feeling it's reef,dolphin, or Gator related.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Dude! Your goin scuba diving!!!!

Good read before a vacation-

Preparing Your Reef For Vacation

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Good luck and have fun! I'm in the same situation as you. I have decided against the auto feeder. I have measured out food for the tank sitter to feed and feeding will be done every other day while we are gone. I also have a checklist together for the tank sitter. I'll be showing the tank sitter how to use the generator (manual hook up) in the event of a power outtage. Top off will be full, extra RO/DI and Saltwater will be on hand in the case of an emergency. I have also ordered another heater in the event of failure. It's bout all I could come up with.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

We have a nice article on the subject:
    Preparing Your Reef For Vacation

I personally use the Super Feeder automatic feeder and it has never let me down. It interfaces well with a controller.

CR Member

I am with you Jim I use i everyday, so no worries on how it's going to work. I can tell you what I did in the past you do not want to do do a water change just days before leaving and forget to connect the power to ato.

is your tank sitter experienced? or should they have an emergency contact list?

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

For feeding I pre-portion the food in those flip open 7day pill containers. With instructions not to give double if they forget or can't make it to the tank for some reason.
    Make sure to show the sitter how to check the water level where the float is and what to do if the ato doesn't work. Take my word for it, that info is a pain to convey over the phone, when the sitter calls and says there's lots of liitle bubbles in the tank.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last