[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Preparing Dry Rock

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

Default Preparing Dry Rock

So I decided to get some Pukani from BRS. For those that have used dry rock before. What did you do to prepare it for a tank?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

I bought 30lbs of BRS Pukani used only 25lbs in my tank. I cured it in a rubbermaid tub (instead of in tank) added a Korilia 550 and a big ole bag of carbon. Let it cook for 4wks. Then added it to my tank and cycled for 6wks. Never had nor have had a no2, no3 or ammonia spikes of any kind. That's it

---
    - IPhone+Tapatalk=I don't miss a thing!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

First Name
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    I bought 30lbs of BRS Pukani used only 25lbs in my tank. I cured it in a rubbermaid tub (instead of in tank) added a Korilia 550 and a big ole bag of carbon. Let it cook for 4wks. Then added it to my tank and cycled for 6wks. Never had nor have had a no2, no3 or ammonia spikes of any kind. That's it

---
    - IPhone+Tapatalk=I don't miss a thing!
    Wow 25# seems like even a lot for your tank. It had a nice smell to it at first though right?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Lol-makes ya wanna hurl!! But the carbon worked wonderful. Had the tub in my living room the whole time and didn't smell a thing.
    It may be more like 15-20lbs I'm bad at judging stuff like weight-unless it's my own

First Name
    Nate

I thought maybe you got some special no smell rock.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by nate_newton View Post
    I thought maybe you got some special no smell rock.
    No it was definitely stinking. But then I watched a video on BRS about throwing a bag of carbon into the mix and damned if it didn't work. So what route you gonna take with your Nate?

First Name
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    No it was definitely stinking. But then I watched a video on BRS about throwing a bag of carbon into the mix and damned if it didn't work. So what route you gonna take with your Nate?
    I ran mine in a turbulent 5g bucket of non saltwater for a few days, changing the water each day. Now I'm to saltwater with a little mb7 added.

Ever heard of liver of sulphur? It totally stinks like rotten egg. I use it to age metals when making chainmaille jewelry.

Fish Dad - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jim

How do you know its working or done cooking???? Been cooking in the garage since June so I'm ready for my setup.

Got some used Live rock that I put in a 15 gallon utility tote picked from HD, (works great big enough but yet can still be dumped for water changes.)

Rock seems to have changed since I first picked it up, gotten brighter and no more crap in the water when I change it.
    A smell kicked in about July but think I went a little long between the water change, about 3 week and so swapped out and added carbon, hasn't smelled since.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Dad View Post
    How do you know its working or done cooking???? Been cooking in the garage since June so I'm ready for my setup.

Got some used Live rock that I put in a 15 gallon utility tote picked from HD, (works great big enough but yet can still be dumped for water changes.)

Rock seems to have changed since I first picked it up, gotten brighter and no more crap in the water when I change it.
    A smell kicked in about July but think I went a little long between the water change, about 3 week and so swapped out and added carbon, hasn't smelled since.

I'm not sure I'm understanding you Fish Dad lol. Are you saying your cooking used live rock? Rock that you got from someone else? Was it dry when you got it?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by nate_newton View Post
    I ran mine in a turbulent 5g bucket of non saltwater for a few days, changing the water each day. Now I'm to saltwater with a little mb7 added.

Ever heard of liver of sulphur? It totally stinks like rotten egg. I use it to age metals when making chainmaille jewelry.
    After the rock was done cooking and added to my tank I used SeaChem Stability for bacteria. It worked great! Used as directed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last