[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Preparing to move my tank...

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Default Preparing to move my tank...

It's official I'm moving to East Lansing! That means I have to pack up the tank and move it ~5 miles. While I have a game plan in my head on how to do this I'd like to hear any suggestions/advice on how best to pull it off.

But PLEASE don't suggest an upgrade. You'll only be pouring salt(water) on my wounds. With the purchase of the new house, one kid in day care and another on the way an upgrade will have to wait. This house has a basement so eventually a coralroom will be constructed.

Thanks for your input,
    Tom

P.S. Don't worry I'm not planning on becoming Tom@EastLansingMI

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Only about 5 miles, huh? Shouldnt be too bad then, other than the breaking down, and resetting up!

I would start by making up a bunch of saltwater ahead of time, and sending it over to the new house.

I would then save as much tank water as I could, when emptying.

I would remove corals first, empty water next. Remove rock last.

Save a bucket of saltwater (or 2) to rince off the rocks in after removal. They will be very dirty/silty. Dont need that when setting up the tank again.

Keep all biological filter media wet. Filters, socks, ect.

I find rubbermaids to be great for moving corals. Nice broad flat surface, and can hold a good amount of water if needed.

If at all possible- leave the sandbed in the tank!! And dont disturbe it either!! Drain water all the way down to the sand, there will be enough water to keep it moist. This will go a long way in your favor when reseting up- with a minimal cycle (if you get one at all).

If you have to remove the sand (its an old, mature system/set up, corect?) you might as well start out with all new sand- you will be better of that way, for sure.

Off to think of some more pointers...done this a few times, lol!
    Last edited by Sir Patrick; 05-12-2010 at 11:27 PM.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Let me know if you need any help Tom. I might be able to "help" by taking some frags off your hands. ...you know for safe keeping and all.

When your done, you can write up a feature article about moving a tank....

Tom, I've moved a couple of tanks, let me know when and my truck and I will give you a hand. I've got extra buckets and jugs too.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Maybe this could be our MMMC meeting....

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Originally I was gonna suggest an upgrade but that doesn't look to be in the budget

+1 to Sir P's suggestions. I helped move a tank across state a few years ago. It was set up for about 3 years.

If you have the opportunity to purchase a new stand, tank and sand bed it will save you a ton of time to have it set up and level waiting to accept the corals and fish. Rather than having them sit there while you level etc. Plus if your tank and stand are really old this might be a good idea.

A battery powered air stone may come in handy if things are taking a bit longer than planned.

Get lots and lots of bags for corals and fish, extras can be used as baffels like in a water bed to stop the water from sloshing too much.

Something else to think about or plan for is temperature. If its cold how is everything going to stay warm or be brought to the right temp. in a respectable amount of time.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Thanks for all of the pointers and offers to help!

Sorry for not including details on how I planned to do this in the OP but I was tired and went straight to bed after posting. I've moved my reef 7 or 8 times since 1992, so I have a good idea of how I want to do it. But am always interested in making improvements.

Sir Patrick - Thanks for the great suggestions! Its pretty much how I was planning to do it and you said it better than I would have. You do bring up one of my main questions... Should I replace the sand bed? Its old and disgusting I'm sure but I can't afford to have the tank cycle. It's also looking like I need to replace or repair my skimmer so justifying spending money on sand is tough. I'd appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts on the topic.

Jimsflies and Tankster - Thanks for the offers of help (huh-huh you said jugs). I may take you up on them. As for an MMMC meeting... may be once we've settled into the new house I'll finally be ready to host a meeting.

ReeferRob - A new tank/ stand is not in the budget. However, I'm planning to temporarily set the tank up in the basement on an old metal stand I have for a 75 gallon. This way I can refinish the oak stand and take some time to determine the perfect spot for the DT upstairs. What I realized last night is I can put the accompanying old 75 gallon on the bottom of the stand and use it as a sump/fuge to replace the 20 long.

I'm thinking I'll mix and heat ~30 gallons of new SW ahead of timein the 75, move the DT to the top of the stand, plumb them together and be back in business (with a sump upgrade at least). I'm not planning to put any baffles in the 75. Just a big open, BB space for rock and algae. Do you guys/gals think I'll have microbubble issues?

Please keep the info coming. And if someone could teach me how to multiquote that would be awesome.

Tom

Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

Looks like you all have the majority of this covered. I would only suggest two things;

1. Use three or five gallon buckets rather than rubbermaid tubs if possible - much easier on the back.

2. I wouldn't worry too much about trying to save all the old tank water, and as Rob said, I would have new water premixed and heated at the new site if possible - "old" tank water doesn't really carry much besides the chemicals, and so long as you have the new SW mixed to the same parameters as the old, saving the old water isn't all that important.

Good luck - hope all goes well.
    I collect PEs, and I'm always looking to trade for ones I don't have yet.

First Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Scopus Tang View Post
    Looks like you all have the majority of this covered. I would only suggest two things;

1. Use three or five gallon buckets rather than rubbermaid tubs if possible - much easier on the back.

2. I wouldn't worry too much about trying to save all the old tank water, and as Rob said, I would have new water premixed and heated at the new site if possible - "old" tank water doesn't really carry much besides the chemicals, and so long as you have the new SW mixed to the same parameters as the old, saving the old water isn't all that important.

Good luck - hope all goes well.
    Great advice. I have access to free 4.5 and 2.5 gallon buckets with lids so that will mostly be what I use. I agree on the old water as well. I'm kind of thinking of this as a large water change. and chance to get a lot of detritus out of the rocks (and possibly sand bed).

Thought of an other question... How should I deal with corals that are attached to LR or the tank glass? I have lots of xenia on the back glass and quite a few pieces of LR with LPS, SPS, zoas and/or softies attached to them. Is is best to keep them completely submerged or will keeping them moist be sufficient? I'm hoping to have the time between tanks limited to a few hours for the corals.

Thanks,
    Tom

Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    Great advice. I have access to free 4.5 and 2.5 gallon buckets with lids so that will mostly be what I use. I agree on the old water as well. I'm kind of thinking of this as a large water change. and chance to get a lot of detritus out of the rocks (and possibly sand bed).

Thought of an other question... How should I deal with corals that are attached to LR or the tank glass? I have lots of xenia on the back glass and quite a few pieces of LR with LPS, SPS, zoas and/or softies attached to them. Is is best to keep them completely submerged or will keeping them moist be sufficient? I'm hoping to have the time between tanks limited to a few hours for the corals.

Thanks,
    Tom
    Tom to multiquote, click on the multi" at the bottom of whichever posts you want to quote, then click on the last one you want to quote with replie with quote - that should give you a response box with all the desired quotes.

Is your sandbed a deep or shallow sandbed?

If you use dry sand seeded with several cups of the upper portion of the old sandbed, you will minimize your cycle - don't know that you will avoid it entirely as bacteria populations will have to reestablish. However, given that you will be moving the tank, and removing and replacing rock and water, I would assume that you will most likely experience a mini cycle anyway, so . . .

As far as your corals, xenia will be fine kept moist as will any zoas, the rest I would do my best to keep covered with water.
    I collect PEs, and I'm always looking to trade for ones I don't have yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last