[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Problems

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member
    First Name
    Alice

Default Problems

Tank was five months old and had fish, corals, and anemones. Also, detris package. At six months, tank took spike in phosphates and calcium. Was informed that might loose corals and anemones but fish should be fine!! Ended up losing whole tank but three corals that just closed up!!! Started again, last week and everything was exactly in order. Added new detris pack on Wednesday and corals started to open. Waited and added six damsels yesterday, checked all levels. Everything was terrific!!! Woke up this morning every fish dead and corals closed again!!! But everything checks out fine!!! Puzzled!!!

dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

what test kits are you using?
    are you using filtered water?
    what brand of salt and other additives are you using?
    what corals are you attempting?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Problems

Any stray voltage? Heater working properly? Pumps working properly. Need more info on your complete setup
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member
    First Name
    Alice

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Any stray voltage? Heater working properly? Pumps working properly. Need more info on your complete setup
    Hi guys!! Did some reading on some of your older post and found out that I am a victim of Instant Ocean!!! Every time I do a water change things go off the chart!!! I was not aware of this happening!!! I will be buying new kind of salt today!! The. Funny thing is that I have never come across this in ten years. That was baffling!! Do you suggest a gradual water change or a 50% change?? I also use API test kits??? Is there a problem with those and how long should they be used before they need to be replaced???

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Motownbrown6301 View Post
    Hi guys!! Did some reading on some of your older post and found out that I am a victim of Instant Ocean!!! Every time I do a water change things go off the chart!!! I was not aware of this happening!!! I will be buying new kind of salt today!! The. Funny thing is that I have never come across this in ten years. That was baffling!! Do you suggest a gradual water change or a 50% change?? I also use API test kits??? Is there a problem with those and how long should they be used before they need to be replaced???
    Do a large change. probably 40-50%. But also make sure your water is good that your changing out. Is the Gravity of the water the same? What kind of water are you using to mix salt? RO? Tap? How long do you let the water mix for? After the 50% change, wait a week and do another change. Than i would would wait a another week or two and test your water for all levels. CHECK for ammonia..instant fish killer. Even though you already think you found the answer. Check all your plugs and the cables, check for stray voltage from any pumps,heaters anything thats in the water.

How big of a tank is it?

CR Member
    First Name
    Alice

Quote Originally Posted by EMUreef View Post
    Do a large change. probably 40-50%. But also make sure your water is good that your changing out. Is the Gravity of the water the same? What kind of water are you using to mix salt? RO? Tap? How long do you let the water mix for? After the 50% change, wait a week and do another change. Than i would would wait a another week or two and test your water for all levels. CHECK for ammonia..instant fish killer. Even though you already think you found the answer. Check all your plugs and the cables, check for stray voltage from any pumps,heaters anything thats in the water.

How big of a tank is it?
    It is a 55 gallon tank with live rock that covers the back of the tank half way up and comes landscaped halfway out!! Lots of hiding places!!! I usually let the water sit for about three to four days and then check the salinity. I use tap water but I use Prime as a conditioner. Should I use something different, I do not know the water system here?? I have checked all the heaters and plugs, etc. everything is okay!! Should I do the change right away or let the new salt mix sit for tonight and do change tomorrow?? The new salt I chose is called Salinity by Aquavitro.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Exactly how did you come to the conclusion that it was the IO that was causing the issues? Did you ever test the new make up water before adding it to your tank? Reason I'm asking is that I've been using the Reef Crystals for almost 4yrs and have never encountered anything negative like your describing.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member
    First Name
    Alice

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Exactly how did you come to the conclusion that it was the IO that was causing the issues? Did you ever test the new make up water before adding it to your tank? Reason I'm asking is that I've been using the Reef Crystals for almost 4yrs and have never encountered anything negative like your describing.
    Every time i did a water change my alkalinity would drop, my calcium would be so high it would be impossible to read past 520, and then I would have a huge jump in my phosphates!!! I noticed that it had happened several cases that was mentioned in another forum!! I have had this 5gallon container for awhile and have not used it til recently and that is when I suddenly had all of this trouble!! I did not think of it then but I started narrowing it down after I took up some of your questions and then went to O and S to ask questions.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Motownbrown6301 View Post
    Every time i did a water change my alkalinity would drop, my calcium would be so high it would be impossible to read past 520, and then I would have a huge jump in my phosphates!!! I noticed that it had happened several cases that was mentioned in another forum!! I have had this 5gallon container for awhile and have not used it til recently and that is when I suddenly had all of this trouble!! I did not think of it then but I started narrowing it down after I took up some of your questions and then went to O and S to ask questions.
    your mag. might be out of whack too. I had this type of deal lost 6 fish within a week or so, mine wasn't due to salt but the fact i wasn't dosing properly. I would stop throwing fish in untill you get the system stablized.

As far as water goes you should start using RO water.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

You state your useing straight tap water. This could be your problem. Many municipal water works use chlorine and bleach to sanitize drinking water as well as chloramine. It would be a good idea to switch to distlled water if you can't afford a r/o system. IO is a pretty common salt but does have alk consistency issues but is known for low calcium. Salinity tho is a very good salt. I would recommend the same as emu did honestly.
    Last edited by binford4000; 04-13-2013 at 07:11 PM.