[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

problems UNDER DA' SEA

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Default problems UNDER DA' SEA

I am having some weird stuff going on. I had a snail die about a week ago, then I noticed my green digi hasn't had normal polyp extension for a few days, another coral that is a softie is dieing off slowly also. Then to boot, my flame scallop looks as if it died today...or is on it's last leg at best! I can't figure it out. ALK is 6.8 again (down from 8.4 a day ago), calcium is at 390, nitrates read 2 ppm, nitites and ammo zero. Salinity is 1.25 and temp is always 76-77. Any ideas. Bring on the suggestions...perhaps my water is just getting old. I have only done one water change since I started the tank a long time ago. But, the reason for that is that my readings where always good. It has just slowly started getting bad. I also have a bad red algea out break again...which I had fought off for awhile.
    ...I think my fish just farted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Our little corner of the www.
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

RWalston - Reefkeeper CR Member

Dirt

I hope you meant Salinity is 1.025. Have you tested for magnesium. Even if you add buffer your alk will drop on a daily bases. That is why people dose everyday when they use 2 part. Mag will help reduce the rate that the alk drops. When your alk drops fast and dramatic like it is it will stress out your coral because you are loosing your pH buffer as well. Try doing a pH reading when you have your tank were you want it and one when the alk drops to 6.

Rich

I have never done anything with magnesium...never tested it either. I have been dosing Kalk...but I am trying to get the dose right....maybe I am just stressing the tank out big time!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

dosing kalk does not raise things like you want it to it will help maintain things IMO ca more than alk. Try using a good alk buffer with mag in it. I know they sell it aqua touch because I would buy mine there all the time before I went with a ca reactor. Once you get your alk in check then use turbo ca to bring your ca up. then monitor it for a week and test every couple of days to see what type of demand you have on alk and ca then adjust your kalk drip to the demand.

mutts - Reefkeeper Registered User
    First Name
    Manda Wolf

a water change couldnt' hurt either dirt, with stuff dieing its only a matter of time before you perfect zero levels go up
    ~Amanda~

It is really nice to see you here in this thread. While your online how about you go over to the TOTM thread and enter or vote. It will only take a minute

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Flame scallops have a poor survival record in captivity so don't feel bad.Your temp is low IMO,80 degrees is much more natural to maintain a reef tank.Monitor your PH when dosing kalk,I suspect your precipitaing alk/calc.When useing kalk,start off with a weak dosage,say <1tsp per gal.I've been useing kalk for yrs,it has always maintained the big 3(alk,PH,calc) for me at idea levels.If useing a seperate alk buffer,make sure to add a balanced amount of calcium with it.1tspn of buffer is balanced by 15ml of Kents Liquid Calcium.

I am using a Kent Dosing bag for Kalk, pretty slow drip, then I have been adding Kent Liquid Calcium, and Kent Pro Buffer daily to bring up the levels. I will keep a close eye on it. I am not real happy with my Kent dosing bag because I noticed that it clogs with a little tiny bit of kalkwasser paste and then the drip stops....I need to figure out a better way. I would love to do a calcium reactor, I have the room for it, but they are EXPENSIVE!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

I just got a Coralife Ca reactor for a good price. The reactor isn't the most expensive part of my setup, it's the CO2 system and the pH controller.
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

Just read this in the monthly reefkeeping.com

Magnesium's primary importance in reef aquaria is its interaction with the calcium and alkalinity balance. Seawater and reef aquarium water are always supersaturated with calcium carbonate. That is, the solution's calcium and carbonate levels exceed the amount that the water can hold at equilibrium. How can that be? Magnesium is a big part of the answer. Whenever calcium carbonate begins to precipitate, magnesium binds to the calcium carbonate crystals' growing surface. The magnesium effectively clogs the crystals' surface so that they no longer look like calcium carbonate, making them unable to attract more calcium and carbonate, so the precipitation stops. Without the magnesium, the abiotic (i.e. non-biological) precipitation of calcium carbonate would likely increase enough to prohibit the maintenance of calcium and alkalinity at natural levels

to read the whole article

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php

Flame scallop was done this morning. However the water smells much better than it did yesterday, and the corals don't look any worse.

Can magnesium be added by itself? The buffer I am using is Kent Pro...does that have magnesium in it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last