[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Q: Cleaning with Bleach....

Bookmark and Share

Default Q: Cleaning with Bleach....

Hey, it's been a long time since I've cleaned anything with a bit of bleach. I've used it to rinse out a tank as well as a couple of filter sponges. What's the best way to neutralize any residual bleach before using the tank?

Thanks!
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

rosebud161616 - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Erika
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

Bleach is just Chlorine. You can either use dechlorinator or just give it some time. Chlorine evaporates pretty quickly, especially in the sun.

CR Member

as above, rinse well, and let it dry. Chlorine Bleach is very unstable and is a great choice to clean with, don't use one with an artificial scent.

MyNemesis - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    John
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Fishbowl Drawing #3 MCES 2012 ($25 Reef Paradise Gift Certificate)

I clean it, let it dry and soak in water with dechlorinator drops and then dry again. I agree that the sun works best for the drying. It looks like this may be a bad week for the sun, but things should be rinsed real well!

Thanks folks! I will do this all and get the new tank up and running this week!
    Detroit's oldest large LED tank! Est'd Jan 2005, went LED June 2009. 6' wide 130g reef, Sunbrite T10 LED tubes (3xGen 3 and 1xGen 1), mostly SPS, but chalices, other LPS, and a few softies too.
    http://pjr-reef.blogspot.com/

Corvette Reefer - Reefkeeper CR Member

yep use bleach then let it dry out is good
    The names Vette, Corvette. . .